"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, January 26, 2013

Ice Day

It iced yesterday and the schools in our area were closed.  My kids heard about this on the news they decided that they should have an Ice Day too, and agreed.  

The Hubs had to go to work for awhile, but the kids snuggled up with blankets on the couch watching movies and playing XBox.  I did laundry and cleaned up the kitched and worked some more on my bedroom.  It hasn't been cleaned since Violet was born and the clothes are taking over.  We had Pumpkin Black Bean Soup and crescent rolls for lunch.  I read a lot.  I checked out a Dean Koontz novel from the library a few days ago and I finally got into it.  Now, I can't put it down.  

Chris finally made it home safe and sound from the elements.  He said the roads were quite icy, so we made plans to just not leave the house.  The boys spent the evening playing XBox with their daddy.  Did you know that it's Double X P weekend?  I have absolutely no idea what that means, but apparently it's important.  
Violet even got in on the action:

No one should be concerned... we were all right there beside her so she couldn't fall off the couch.  :)

I also made another one of those "thrown together because I didn't have a chance to get to the grocery store" meals.  Here's the recipe, if you think you can handle all the work! Ha!

Crock Pot Mexican Chicken and Rice

Ingredients:
4 Boneless chicken breasts, thawed
Salsa
Rice
Cheese
Sour Cream

Put chicken into the Crock Pot and dump a jar of salsa on top.  Set on low and go about your day.  

After 5 hours or so, mix it all up.  The chicken will be so tender it just breaks apart.  The end result looks like barbecue.  I added a little more salsa and continued to cook.  

When you're almost ready to eat, throw some instant rice on the stove.  When it's cooked, serve up the rice and top it with the chicken mixture.  Top everything with a sprinkle of cheese and a dollop of sour cream.  In a perfect world, I would have added some canned black beans, but we were all out.  I served this dish with green peas and it was so good. My kids and The Hubs all had seconds and it really filled us up.  

I don't know if you can actually call this a "recipe" but I will definitely be making it again.  I'm eating leftovers for lunch as I type and it tastes even better!

Shaun's basketball game was canceled this morning and we all slept in, which was much needed.  Shaun is the only one of us who's an early riser.  I think he woke up around 6:00.  

Someone is turning 7 years old on Monday, so I hope to go get his present later.

No comments: