"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

4

The Agony of Alice by: Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

I promise that I really do read "grown-up" books.  Truly.  I am, in fact, in the middle of a fantastic Dean Koontz novel right now.  Sometimes, though, I'm too tired to think about what I read.  I just want to read something easy and funny and not have to pick apart the plot or think about it too much.    

The other day in the library (the same day that I set off the alarm) the kids and I were in the teen section looking for XBox games.  Speaking of the teen section... have you been over there lately?  Apparently, all books for the young adult audience must have vampires, witches, goblins, or wizards as the main characters. I'm all about a good vampire series, but I was dismayed at the lack of selection for teens in the library.  

Anyway.  Moving on. 

I was browsing the books in the teen section while waiting for the boys to choose their games.  In the midst of all that fantasy nonsense, a set of brightly colored books caught my eye way up on the top shelf.  The "Alice" books.  My elementary school librarian thought I would like these when I was in fifth grade.  And she was right.  Mrs. Gailey was usually right about what I'd like to read.  I loved that woman!  

So, I first read The Agony of Alice in fifth grade.  I laughed out loud then, and I laughed out loud last Friday when I read it again.  Alice just reminds me SO much of myself.  She's awkward.  She does some really dumb things.  She has a quirky way of thinking.  She is so stinking funny.  

I can't wait until Violet is old enough to read about Alice.  Maybe we'll read them together.  Or maybe I can introduce my niece to Alice and she'll love her as much as I do.  


No comments: