"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Review Number 9: The Hunger Games


The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

Published October 1st 2008 by Scholastic Inc.

ISBN: 0439023483

Genre: Fiction

Summary from Goodreads:
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister Primrose, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before — and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.



An old friend of mine on Facebook suggested I read this series awhile ago, but then I forgot. Then I saw a poster for the movie adaption when my friends and I went to see Breaking Dawn. I asked if anyone had read it, and some people in line behind us began to tell us how good they were. I mistakenly thought The Hunger Games was another vampire series. Why? I'm not really sure. I saw the trailer that night and thought it looked interesting. Interesting, but not something I'd really love. I don't usually go for futuristic, survival type stories. But the more I researched, the more I thought I should give it a try. I'd actually made up my mind to buy it on my birthday when my mom and I went shopping. We met up with my friend Kendra for lunch first, and she surprised me with a present that just happened to be a copy of The Hunger Games. I was thrilled and started reading that night.

This book is great. No other words. Every bit as good as Twilight, if that means anything to you. I was sucked in. I probably could have finished the book in one day if I hadn't been so tired- I was pregnant but didn't know it yet!

The whole concept of life in Panem horrified me. A government abusing it's citizens. Hoarding all of the country's resources for itself while the "little people" starve. The sheer desperation of the characters. And then there's Katniss. She's one of the strongest female characters I've ever come into contact with. What a great role model. I even told Chris I'd be willing to entertain the idea of naming our baby after her if we have a girl. He was not amused and asked me if I was kidding. And I was. Sort of.

Then there's the love triangle. I haven't finished the series yet (I'm currently finishing up the last book) and I'm dying to know who Katniss ends up with. Sometimes I get way to emotional about my books. I keep flipping between Team Peeta and Team Gale. Right now I'm leaning toward Gale. We'll see, I guess.

I'm telling you... this book has everything. Action, romance, surprising twists. I can't wait to see the movie next month. I know it probably won't do the book justice, but I love seeing my favorite characters come to life. I'm also looking forward to reading this with Shaun. He's reading the Percy Jackson books now, along with Tim Tebow's book. The Hunger Games may be next on his list.

If you haven't, go read this book! I gave it all 5 stars!

No comments: