"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Pictureless Account of Our Field Trip to the Georgia Aquarium

The kids and I went on the best field trip ever on Monday. We visited The Georgia Aquarium. Did you know they have an amazing homeschool field trip program? Not only did we get to visit the aquarium and stay as long as we wanted, but the kids each attended a class which included a "behind the scenes" tour. After learning about the eating habits of different fish species, each group was able to go up to the top of the main tank. It was really amazing. We saw all the marine biologist people working away and we saw how the water makes it into the different tanks.

We all had a great time. Of course there was some drama. Jordan tried to climb under the barrier to get closer to the water. The water in the largest aquarium tank in the world. I don't remember how deep it is, but it's HUGE and filled with sharks and sting rays and other lovely things. He said he wanted to touch one of the Whale Sharks. I don't know about him sometimes. I'm just so thankful I saw him in time to grab him.

Other than that it was a good day. The kids all behaved, for the most part.

One funny thing. We stopped at the restroom in the courtyard before we walked to our car. Jordan ran to the water fountain and Shaun went around the other side of the building to the restrooms. When Jordan and I rounded the corner, Shaun met us with a terrified look on his face. Turned out he had pushed the "emergency" button. He was scared to death! Then the security guard came of the speaker and asked what the emergency was. I explained that there actually wasn't an emergency and that the button was pushed by accident. "No problem", he said. By this time everyone had gone to the restroom and my sister had begun the walk of the stairs to the parking deck with her kids. That's when I tripped over my own feet and fell on my butt. Classy. It's a good thing I'm used to being clumsy. I hardly even get embarrassed anymore. Before I could get up, Jordan ran and pushed the emergency button again. I guess he thought we were having an emergency. Or maybe that big blue button was just too much for him to ignore.

We finally made it to the car and after about three hours in rush hour traffic, we were back home. What a great day. I was so upset that I didn't get any pictures. My phone battery died. We have plans to go back again for another field trip soon. I can't get over the prices. Each child's ticket was only $12 and one "chaperone" per every two children was admitted for free. Can't beat that. A 3-D movie was also included. The kids' only complaint was that we didn't have time to see the dolphin show because the show was the same time as our movie. We will definitely have to plan on that for next time.

No comments: