"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Monday, February 13, 2012

Review Number 10: Catching Fire (The Hunger Games #2)


Catching Fire (The Hunger Games # 2) by: Suzanne Collins

Published September 1st 2009 by Scholastic Press


ISBN: 0439023491

Genre: Fiction

Summary from Goodreads:
Against all odds, Katniss has won the Hunger Games. She and fellow District 12 tribute Peeta Mellark are miraculously still alive. Katniss should be relieved, happy even. After all, she has returned to her family and longtime friend, Gale. Yet nothing is the way Katniss wishes it to be. Gale holds her at an icy distance. Peeta has turned his back on her completely. And there are whispers of a rebellion against the Capitol - a rebellion that Katniss and Peeta may have helped create.

Much to her shock, Katniss has fueled an unrest she's afraid she cannot stop. And what scares her even more is that she's not entirely convinced she should try. As time draws near for Katniss and Peeta to visit the districts on the Capitol's cruel Victory Tour, the stakes are higher than ever. If they can't prove, without a shadow of a doubt, that they are lost in their love for each other, the consequences will be horrifying.

In Catching Fire, the second novel of the Hunger Games trilogy, Suzanne Collins continues the story of Katniss Everdeen, testing her more than ever before... and surprising readers at every turn.


Confession. I'm really beyond tired tonight, so this is going to be short. Once again, I loved this book. No better or worse than the first in this series. I thought they were both equal in their awesomeness. This one was different. More surprises that took me completely off guard. Not quite as gory as the original, but all the weirdness was still there. Ipecac party, anyone?

As always, I'm so glad that I began this series after all of the books were published. I really can't imagine having to wait months and months to find out how this all ends. It's hard enough not being able to read as quickly as I'd like due to being so tired... I'd hate to be left totally hanging.

Like I said, I'm exhausted and I know I'd do a poor job writing up a description, so just let it be sufficient for me to post that by this book's end I was still enamored by Katniss and her bravery. I was still riding the Gale/Peeta fence. And I was very disappointed in myself for not catching all of the subtle clues that hinted at the ending. I've never been good at that. I was just informed by one of my (much younger) friends that she had a correct idea of what would happen all along. Oh, to have her smarts and insight. But then, maybe I'm glad I was able to be surprised.

I also gave this book 5 stars. Now to go finish the last one.

No comments: