"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

why I'm thankful, day 9

I gave Shaun a writing assignment today. A standard creative writing exercise that required him to brainstorm some topics, pick the one he wanted to write about, and then create an "idea web" so that tomorrow he'll be ready to write a paper.

I wanted him to do this by himself. He wasn't happy about that. Like most boys, Shaun doesn't like to do anything that requires him to sit still and think- but I made him do it anyway. His brainstorming list included pirates, XBox, God, and... something else. Star Wars, I think.

He chose to write about God. Heaving a huge sigh, he wrote GOD in big capitol letters and then started listing the main points for his idea web. He sat at the dining room table while he did so, while I got lunch ready in the kitchen. As usual, I walked by to check to make sure he was staying on track. He asked if I wanted to see what he'd come up with so far, and of course I said yes.

I looked at his paper and felt like shouting... his first main point about God was simply: He Wins.

Oh, how true this is. And how encouraging to know that my kid knows that God wins.

You see, I've been a little panicked lately. Lots of things are happening in our family. How many of you know that I don't do change well? And to top it off, I can practically feel Satan trying to beat down our door. I really hate it when he does that.

But, at the end of the day... GOD WINS. He's got this. As we sang in church tonight, "He holds it all together". How thankful I am for this truth, and that my Lord used Shaun to remind me.


No comments: