"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, November 25, 2011

why I'm thankful, day 23

Well, I was so proud of myself for doing so well with posting my "thankfulness" and now I'm behind two days. We've been busy the past few days. Here's Wednesday's post:

I'm thankful for my parents. My mom and dad who have loved me unconditionally even when I'm a huge disappointment. They sacrificed so that my sister and I always had not only what we needed, but what we wanted. They both worked outside the home, but I never had to worry about being the last one picked up from Campfire Girls. My dad always coached my basketball and softball teams and my mom never missed a game.

My mom would take vacation days from her job to chaperone our school field trips and come to our class parties. My dad was a fireman, and his station was right next door to my elementary school. My friends always thought he was the coolest dad ever because he'd walk over and have lunch with me in the cafeteria. And the dancing. Did I mention the dancing? He would dance with my sister and I... throwing us and spinning us all around.

They put up with me through my crazy, rebellious, teenage goth years. Even though they were bewildered and furious at my actions, they handled me with grace and love. They prayed me through eating disorders, heavy metal music, car accidents, tongue rings, tattoos, horrible boyfriend choices, and phone calls from my principal when I was caught skipping school.

I am living proof of Proverbs 22:6:

Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

I'm so thankful that even when I was bad... when I was horrible and disrespectful and willful, defiant, and disobedient...through it all they prayed continuously for me and insisted that I go to church. Even when I resented them for it and told them that they were wrong, they never gave up on me.

When Shaun was born and Chris and I fell apart, my parents were strong when we couldn't be. They parented my child when I couldn't do it myself. They've prayed for my children, taken them to church when I was running from God, and bought countless clothes, shoes, and toys when Chris and I were broke and didn't have the money.

They have seen me though mental breakdowns, unnecessary emotional outbursts, tears, fits of rage, and sheer stupidity... and they still love me and come back for more!

Mom and Dad came to church with me Wednesday night for our Thanksgiving service. As we worshiped God together my heart ran over with gratitude for them. I'm so, so thankful that they are mine.

No comments: