"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Thursday, August 2, 2012

Unfriended

I was just "unfriended" on Facebook by an old friend.  Said friend happens to be gay and he chose to discontinue our friendship because I support Chick-fil-a.  

Are you kidding me?  

I've known this guy since elementary school.  He was always one of the sweetest people I knew.  When I "found" him again on Facebook a few years ago it was apparent that he was still sweet, and a good person.  He's also gay.  This is not something I agree with.  For the record, in case anyone doesn't know, I believe that homosexuality is wrong.  According to my Bible, it's a sin.  Does this mean that I hate all the people who live this way?  No.  I'm not intolerant, unreasonable, or a bigot.  I do, however, have the right to believe the way I believe.  

I knew that my friend was gay the minute I viewed his profile.  I did not feel the need to dis-associate myself with him due to his sexual orientation.  He was still the sweet guy I knew from the school bus who would go out of his way to show kindness to everyone.  When he posted funny status updates, sometimes I would comment or give him a "like".  If he happened to post something I didn't agree with, I would let it go.  I never attacked him for his beliefs or showed any kind of negative reaction at all.  I could look beyond it because he was my friend.

And so, I was very surprised when, just minutes after I posted a status update in support of Chick-fil-a Appreciation Day he commented with: 
"This hurts my heart.  It was nice knowing you".


I deleted the comments, and now we're no longer Facebook friends.  And my heart is hurt just like his.  

No comments: