"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, June 6, 2009

What we've been eating lately

My, how our appetites have changed! Seriously, we're different people.

We changed our food choices this past Monday to comply with Shaun's new found food allergies. What an adventure its been. Because we live in G'ville, our choices were severely limited. So, mom and I made the trek to Natural Foods Warehouse last weekend. My new favorite store! We had planned to also visit Whole Foods Market, but we ran out of time. Plus we really really REALLY wanted to eat dinner at the Mellow Mushroom that's in the same complex as the Warehouse. Ahem. Anyway. Here's what we've been eating:

I knew I was in for a challenge. Shaun is a snacker. He doesn't care for sweets, but he could eat salty goodies such as chips, dip, peanuts, etc all day long. I knew I had to find a replacement for potato chips first thing, since they're his favorite food and potatos are one of the worst foods for him. The solution? If you can believe it, dried sugar snap peas. Really! They taste just like potato chips, and they're so healthy. A huge thanks for Wendy for telling me about them. I paired these up with milk-free french onion flavored cream cheese by Toffutti, and viola-- chips and dip. Snack crisis solved. We also found some delicious sweet potato chips that were a big hit.

Rice is also now a big thing with us. And, mind you, that's white rice, since he's allergic to the brown. We're now big fans of rice bread, rice crackers, rice spaghetti, rice flour- who knew you could make so many things out of rice? Its true- rice products are a dream come true to a boy with wheat allergies...and to his mom, too! They're actually pretty tasty, once you get used to it.

Almond milk. I'm not a huge fan of this, but the kids love it. They'll happily guzzle glass after glass at the same rate they guzzled plain old cow's milk. I can't do it. Not sure why. Its not that almond milk has a bad taste. Its just different, but I can't tell a difference when I cook with it.

Grilled chicken nuggets from Chick fil a. A big hit with everyone. They're so good. Thanks Amanda, for telling me about this. I had no idea that you could request your nuggets to be grilled instead of fried. All the taste without the what breading. And we can still eat out, which we have to do several times a week.

Fruit. Lots and lots of fruit. And vegetables. Absolutely no MSG and high fructose corn syrup.

And I've lost 4 pounds, just from not eating junky, chemical laden food. Life's good.

1 comment:

CB said...

maybe you can help me change my diet. i eat like crap:(