"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, May 2, 2009

Weight Watchers is Not for Nine Year Olds

It seems that Shaun has been copying me on the sly. While I've been losing weight at Weight Watchers on purpose, he's been losing weight, too. Only while NOT sitting in on WW meetings. And not on purpose, either.

Shaun has always been a little below average in the weight department. Its been an on-going struggle to get him to eat and eat well. I think this is to be expected when his medications are taken into consideration. So a few weeks ago when I had to tighten the elastic in his adjustable-waist shorts, I didn't think anything about it. Then I had to tighten another pair of shorts. Then yesterday he put on another pair and they simply fell off. THEN, he spent the night with my parents last night. I picked him up this morning and my mom informed me that she was "shocked" by how thin and bony he is. I took a good look at him and saw that she was right. Every rib can be counted. He looks like he's starving. How could I not have noticed this? I know I see him every day, but when I really took the time to look, I was shocked, too.

Shaun weighed 61 pounds at his check-up about a month ago. Today his weight is 52 pounds. Woah. I normally would chalk a weight loss for him up to his meds, but we've weaned him off of the one that suppressed his appetite. I am proud to say that now he is only being medicated for ADHD and Epilepsy. So why the weight loss? Needless to say, I'll be calling the doctor first thing Monday morning. In the mean time, I'll be shoving food at him anytime I get the chance.

And, most importantly, I'll be coveting prayers.

1 comment:

akaMommy said...

Hey Erin.
I'll be praying for Shaun, girl! Do you want any help with figuring out some sources of protein that would be super efficient in helping him to gain weight? Also, check out a few labels on the Luna and Clif bars. This one- Oatmeal Raisin by Luna is crammed with protein and all sorts of other great vitamins and minerals. I was surprised- and WHOO HOO my kids LOVED it. They thought they were getting a candy bar. :-D