"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, April 4, 2009

Warning: Items in the Organic Foods secion at Kroger may not be as organic as they appear.

I made this discover Thursday night. I took a late-night grocery shopping run. This is my favorite time to grocery shop for many reasons. The store's not crowded, I can shop by myself, I can stick to my list, I can shop by myself, the night shift employees are nicer, I can shop by myself... You get the picture.

Anyway, I always get a lot of stuff from the "natural" section. Because of the kids' food sensitivities and what not. One of their favorite things to eat is Annie's Macaroni and Cheese. Up until Thursday, I had assumed that this delicious macaroni dish was natural...organic....since it is found in the NATURAL or ORGANIC section. Not true, my friends. You MUST read the fine print. I picked up a box of Annie's Mac and Cheese and was about to throw it in the cart when this sentence caught my eye: Made with Organic Pasta. Hmm. Organic pasta. That's great, but what about the cheese? Is this not organic, too? Nope. It turns out that, contrary to popular belief, some of Annie's mac and cheese contains preservatives, some food dyes and, I'm sure, some other yucky stuff that I've been trying to avoid. Not all of them. But some. The thing to really look for, I guess, is the green "Certified Organic" mark on the lower right hand corner of the box. Hmm. Who knew?

No comments: