"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, November 29, 2008

Thanksgiving

Thanksgiving is almost over for us.  We're getting together one more time this afternoon, and then that's that until Christmas.  As far as Thanksgivings go, this one was pretty good.  Really good, considering all my that my family(s) have been through this year.  

We started the day off by going to my sister-in-law's house.  She did most of the cooking, but I did contribute a green bean casserole and some homemade mac and cheese.  All in all, we had a very nice visit with the in-laws.  Chris and I agreed that it was the best Thanksgiving we've had with them in a while.  On the way to Mandy and Rob's, we passed through the town of Hoschton.  The town recently broke the world record for having the most scarecrows displayed in their town.  As you can see, they were very interesting.   

Some were cute, but mostly I got a creepy "Children of the Corn" feeling.  It was neat to see, anyway, and Shaun got a kick out of them.  

Later on that afternoon, we went to my Aunt Nancy's house.  I knew this one would be tougher.  Our first Thanksgiving without Mamaw.  But it turned out okay.  Of course, we were sad.  My mom had the idea to light a candle to burn throughout the meal in Mamaw's memory and honor.  I only cried a little.  As my Aunt Patsy put it "She wouldn't come back for anything in the world".  I know that's true, because she's in Heaven- she had Thanksgiving with Jesus!  I can't think of anything to be more thankful for.  

Lori and I went shopping on Friday- without the kids.  Thanks Mom and Dad!  We got some of the kids Christmas done, but the best deal of all was for me!  I found an eliptical stair climber on sale for only $30...it was originally over $100.  Of course I got it, since I'm supposed to be getting some exercise.  I haven't tried it out yet, but its all set up and ready to go.  

Now its Saturday, and I'm about to start cooking for our 3rd and final Thanksgiving get-to-gether.  We're going to Granny's at 5:00.  It'll be another toughie...My uncle passed away in July, so its another first.  My grandparents aren't doing too well.  They're depressed, which is to be expected.  I think this holiday season is going to be harder on all of us than we thought.  But we will get through it- we always do.  

No comments: