"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

at the dentist

I took the boys to a new dentist today. We went to see Dr. Vaughan. I'm so relieved to have found a dentist that: 1- the kids like, 2- I like, 3- is knowledgeable about Ectodermal Dysplasia, and 4- I trust. I've been stressed about this for weeks and at the end of our appointment I was so relieved and comfortable with everything that happened.

My first clue that I'd like this dentist was that when we walked in the door, Dr Vaughan himself was in the hallway on his hands and knees scrubbing a spot out of the carpet. How many dentists has you met who do that? He stopped right there and introduced himself to the boys and then to me. Then he let them right over to the Wii. They were in heaven.

Shaun had no cavities, but left with a referral to an orthodontist. Yuck.

Jordan had three cavities but that was the least of my worries. He has lots of issues with his teeth. Some are missing, and the ones he does have are pointy. He calls them his vampire teeth. My main criteria in a dentist is that he or she needed to be knowledgeable about Jordan's condition. I wanted someone who had treated a patient like him before. I actually called around to all the dentists in our area before I made the decision to try Dr Vaughan. To my relief, he was wonderful with Jordan. He didn't parade all of his staff in to look at his "abnormalities". (Yes, if you're wondering- that has happened before. There's nothing like a dentist making your child out to be a lab rat, right?) He took x-rays, and then examined Jordan before he sent him back out to the waiting room to play so that we could speak privately. And we came up with a tentative plan of treatment. This plan will become more firm through the years, but at least now we have a plan. Plans are good. And having a dentist who knows what he's talking about is really good.

Today was really an answer to prayer. God's so good. He really does care about every problem we have. Even dentists.

P.S. While Jordan was in the waiting room with my mom, he told another mom that his mom "has a baby in her tummy the size of a peanut". Bless him!

No comments: