"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, January 14, 2012

review number 7: Immanuel's Veins

Immanuel's Veins by: Ted Dekker
Published September 7th 2010 by Thomas Nelson

ISBN: 140031674X (ISBN13: 9781400316748)
Genre: Fiction

Summary from Goodreads:
This story is for everyone--but not everyone is for this story.

It is a dangerous tale of times past. A torrid love story full of deep seduction. A story of terrible longing and bold sacrifice.

Then as now, evil begins its courtship cloaked in light. And the heart embraces what it should flee. Forgetting it once had a truer lover.

With a kiss, evil will ravage body, soul, and mind. Yet there remains hope, because the heart knows no bounds.

Love will prove greater than lust. Sacrifice will overcome seduction. And blood will flow.

Because the battle for the heart is always violently opposed. For those desperate to drink deep from this fountain of life, enter.

But remember, not everyone is for this story.


We all know I have a thing for vampires and I've always had a thing for a Dekker Novel. Was there ever any doubt that a Ted Dekker novel about vampires would become one of my favorite books? That said, the above synopsis is true. Not everyone will be for this story. It's hard to read. The subject of this novel is one that has always fascinated me: the "fallen ones" of Heaven. The angels that were kicked out with Lucifer. Then, the other night I read this little doozy in Genesis:

This was back in the days (and also later) when there were giants in the land. The giants came from the union of the sons of God and the daughters of men. These were the mighty men of ancient lore, the famous ones. Genesis 6:4, The Message

I must have read this verse a million times, and I'd never paid much attention to it until now. I almost fell out of my chair when I read it this time, because it means that the characters in Immanuel's Veins could have been real. I'm still trying to wrap my head around that one!

There are a lot of themes in this novel, but the one that stuck with me the most is sin.

Sin.

It sneaks up on us. Wraps it's ugly little fingers around us and before we know it we're doing things we'd never dreamed of doing. Things that repulse us. Things that make us ashamed. But even when we think we're too far gone, our Savior is waiting to take us back with open arms. He paid the price for our sin with His blood, after all. I don't want to give too much away, but I was moved to tears at this book's conclusion. Never have I been so in awe of my Father's unconditional love for me. I finished it at the doctor's office and I barely had my tears wiped away when she came into the room.

This was one of the best books I've read in a long time. I gave it 5 HUGE stars. I can't wait to read it again so I can pick up on all the things I missed.

No comments: