"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, January 27, 2012

jordan's birth

I've been wanting to write up Jordan's birth story, mainly for myself. I don't want to ever forget it, and since he's turning six years old tomorrow I figured tonight was a good time to do it.

Two days before Jordan was born, I went in for my weekly doctors appointment. His heart rate was high when they monitored him. They gave me a non-stress test and the heart rate went back down to normal but Dr. Harrison wanted me to come back in the next day for more monitoring just to be on the safe side.

My mom came with me the next day. Same thing. High heart rate and non-stress test followed by... um. I think it's called a biophysical profile. This involves an ultrasound and we learned that Jordan wasn't breathing as often as he should, and his heart rate kept rising. I began to cry and my sweet mother got down to eye level with me and told me that I just had to give this whole thing to God. So I did. And things started to calm down.

I was seeing Dr. Harrison again that day. He wasn't my regular doctor, but I'd seen him the day before. It was a Friday and he originally wanted me to go home and come into the hospital for more monitoring the next day. I'm so glad my mom was with me. I can never think clearly when I'm stressed and that day was no exception. She asked the doctor if he knew about my history and told him a little about what had happened with Shaun. He left the room for a minute to review my chart, came back in and announced the new game plan: I was to go home, grab my stuff and then go check in to the hospital. He'd come by later that evening to do an amnio and if Jordan's lungs were okay he'd be born the next morning.

So on to the hospital I went. My sister met us there and Chris came as soon as he got off work. He stayed for awhile and then my sister agreed to stay with me while he went to lead worship at a youth rally. I think my mother left, too, so that she could pick Shaun up. Or maybe she went home to get my dad. I don't really remember.

Lori and I hung out at the hospital. We talked, laughed, and watched Full House reruns while we waited on Dr. Harrison to come do the amnio. I was so afraid of this. I hate needles, and let me tell you, that is one long needle! The doctor finally came into the room- he had to wait until after office hours because he wasn't on call that day. It means the world to me that he did that. I remember feeling so safe and cared for.

The doctor came in and told me what to expect with the procedure. I'd never had one before but kind of knew what to expect. He left, saying he'd be back with an ultrasound machine. A few minutes later, he stuck his head in the door and said, "Hey. Have ya'll seen an ultra sound machine in here?". Lori and I looked at each other and then glanced around the room. "Nope, not in here" we replied. Dr. Harrison sighed and left again.


After what seemed like forever, he came back into the room with a nurse, pushing an ultrasound machine. He plugged it in and, I swear to this, said "I don't even know how to use this one. How do I turn it on?". My sister said my eyeballs were about to pop out of my head. He must have noticed because he laughed and said, "Oh, don't worry. I didn't mean that I don't know how to use it. I just don't know how to turn it on. I've never used this one before. But they all work the same way once they're on!"

Okay.

He turned it on and began the ultrasound, explaining everything as he went: "See, baby's way down here so we'll insert the needle all the way up here so that it's far away from him." I laid there with my eyes closed, sweating with anxiety, with my huge stomach exposed for all to see. He reached for the tray beside the bed and suddenly stood up, slammed the tray back down onto the table and said (very loudly), "This tray doesn't even have a needle! This is a stupid tray!" He turned to look at the nurse, who was just standing there looking bored. "What do you want me to do", she asked? "I want you to go find a needle! I'm sure she's ready to have this done!" yelled my doctor. At this point the nurse scurried out of the room and I began to squeeze the life out of my sister's hand. Dr. Harrison turned to us and muttered, "Whoever heard of an amnio tray without a needle? I'm so sorry this is taking so long. Are you doing alright?"

We assured him that I was fine. The nurse came back and the doctor began another ultrasound to make sure Baby J hadn't shifted position. He hadn't, so we were good to go. He put the needle in (which actually didn't hurt at all) and began to draw the fluid out. That's when Jordan decided to kick the needle, sending it swaying back-and-forth while it was sticking out of my stomach. Once again my eyes turned into saucers and I squeezed my sister's hand. Dr. Harrison exclaimed, "Wow, I've never seen that before. Usually they shy away from the needle".

And that was my first sign that I was in for another strong-willed child.

The rest of the night was uneventful. My parents came by with Shaun. I think maybe my grandparents came too. That's a little fuzzy. Some people from our church came to pray with us. I wasn't in a regular labor and delivery room with a comfy bed. They put me in one of the rooms used for monitoring. Maybe all of the good rooms were taken. All I remember is that was one uncomfortable bed. Bright and early the next morning a nurse came by and said that the amnio results were great and that we'd be having a baby in about an hour. We called our parents and sat back to wait.

My family arrived and was able to see me before I went back for my c-section. I don't remember anything until I was getting my spinal block. I remember that because, like I said, I hate needles. When I was pregnant with Shaun, before the labor pains really kicked in, I had said there was no way in heck I'd get an epidural. I saw one at my childbirth glass and it had terrified me. Later on in my labor I begged for one, but I never progressed enough. By the time I was ready for my spinal block with Shaun I was too out of it to care about the huge needle going into my spine. Not this time. I was about to hyperventilate. The spinal guy got it all the way in and then, "Oh, I'm so sorry. I'm going to have to take this out and do it over". Ugh.

Somehow I made it though. Dr. Harrison came back to the hospital when he wasn't on call to deliver my baby. I think he's the best doctor ever! The surgery went smoothly and Jordan was born without a hitch. When the doctor held him up to me the first thing I noticed was that his nose was teeny tiny compared to the size of Shaun's. I think I was expecting him to look identical to Shaun, but as it turned out, he was his own person. Ha!

Chris went with Jordan to watch over him while he was getting checked out and my sister and cousin Ashley stayed with me in the recovery room. I think I kept asking if Jordan was breathing. After what had happened to Shaun while I was in recovery, I wasn't taking any chances. I got back to my room with my family and we waited for the nurses to bring the baby in. Shaun was there. He announced that he was going to hold the baby first, and then everyone else could except Lori. He didn't like her much back then for some reason.
We waited and waited and Shaun got antsy. My sister left to go do something but came back right after she left because she had run into her new nephew in the hall. Shaun was a total baby hog. No one could hold Jordan because Shaun wouldn't let him go!

After awhile the nurse came back in and took Jordan back to the nursery because his temperature was a little low. This visit turned into a week long stay in the hospital for antibiotics due to an infection. When this happens, every base is covered. Including a lumbar puncture to check for Meningitis. All I could think of was my friend from work. Her granddaughter had Meningitis right after birth and was brain damaged from it. Major panic set in. I didn't tell anyone about my fear. I preferred to suffer in silence back then, but I was scared out of my mind. I've never been so relieved as when that test came back negative a few days later.

Because Jordan was technically in the NICU, the neonatologist came in to talk with us. He had been Shaun's doctor six years earlier and he remembered us. Shaun got a kick out of that. He even talked to the doctor on the phone. Another thing Shaun did while I was in the hospital was to discover that hospital beds will raise all the way to the ceiling. I kid you not.

I stayed in the hospital a few extra days, but I still had to leave for home without my baby with me. My mom found me crying in the bathroom that morning before I was discharged. Shaun saw me too, which upset him. We made it though, and Jordan came home a few days later.

He had a wonderful homecoming, coming home to a house filled with his cousins. In fact, the first thing his cousin Jaycee did was try to pull his head off. We think she thought he was a baby doll.

And there you have it. Jordan's birth story. I can't believe he's going to be six years old tomorrow.


No comments: