"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, July 14, 2013

15

Bloom:  Finding Beauty in the Unexpected- A Memoir by:  Kelle Hampton

Okay, well.  Let me begin by saying that Kelle Hampton isn't my favorite blogger, but a lot of people enjoy her blog and if you'd like to check it out you can click here.     

I can't remember how I came across her blog, but I've been following her off and on for a few years.  I do love her photography.  She's got skills!

Bloom was written after Kelle's second child, Nella, was born with Down syndrome.  I, for obvious reasons, have a soft spot in my heart for special needs moms so I reserved a copy of the book from the library.  I finished it in two days.  I couldn't put it down.  

It was the best book I've read in a really, really long time.  

I love the honesty of this book.  While I don't have a child with Down syndrome, I do have a child with Cerebral palsy so I can kind of relate to how Kelle was blindsided at Nella's birth.  I loved how real this book is.  Kelle's raw honesty was so refreshing to me.  

Some of the thoughts that ran through my head after Shaun was born... I was ashamed to have thought them and had never admitted them to anyone.  What a relief to read this book and know that I wasn't the only mother out there who had had those thoughts.  I could practically hear special needs moms all over the world breathing sighs of relief and murmuring, Wow.  I can't believe she actually wrote that down... but I'm so glad she did!

I laughed and cried while reading this book, many times during the same paragraph.  And did I mention that it also contains pictures?  Lots and lots of pictures!  

Bottom line:  great book that can bring healing and comfort to all those "special mamas" out there and a wonderful celebration of a beautiful little girl.  

No comments: