"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, March 1, 2013

13

My first-born baby turned 13 last weekend.  

13.

We officially have a teenager in the house.  Chris and I are preparing ourselves for everything that goes along with that.  A new season is beginning for us and it's so exciting!

I was a little emotional on the big day.  Big surprise!  I actually did okay until my sister-in-law found some pictures and tagged me on Facebook.  


This was taken a few hours after Shaun was born.  Easily both the best and worst night of my entire life.  If you're interested, you can read about the night Shaun was born in its entirety right here.  If I remember correctly we had just been informed that our baby was "very sick".  My mom got the okay from my doctor get me into a wheelchair and down to the NICU just hours after my c-section so that I could see my baby in person.  I'll never forget it.  He was beautiful.  And sick.  Chris and I had never been so scared.  


This was taken a week or so later.  Our first family picture.  I'm so glad Mandy had a copy of this.  We were so excited to have Shaun off of the ventilator.  He was breathing on his own with no tubes.  A nurse took this picture a few days before we went home.  Can you see the relief in our faces?  We were "out of the woods" and our baby was going to live!  

And now it's 13 years later.  That baby is getting tall.  I'm pretty sure that he'll be taller than both of his parents by his 14th birthday.  That's what we're praying for, anyway.  Ha!

I don't like to dwell on the fact that Shaun had a rough start, but every once in a while I allow myself to go back to his baby days when we just didn't know.  At first we didn't know if he'd live.  Then we didn't know if he'd crawl.  Or walk, or talk, or dress himself.  Look at him now.  

My little miracle boy is not so little anymore.  Gone are the days of Spiderman obsessions, crazy temper tantrums, and holding my hand while crossing the street.  He is striving for independence.  Making new friends.  Wanting to be dropped off instead of walked in for piano lessons.  Dissecting frogs at co-op.  Playing sports.  Singing in choir.  He's always been a leader and not a follower and he's proving it by being on the dance team at church, no matter how hard he has to work to learn the steps.  He's growing up.  And yes, the inevitable cries of "Why don't you understand me?!?!?" have started. Oh, my!  He also despises having his picture taken, so the pickin's are slim.





But, he loves the Lord.  I am so proud of him.  

Happy 13th birthday, Shaun.  Daddy and I couldn't love you more.  

No comments: