"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Monday, August 9, 2010

Routine

I've been dealing with insomnia for a few months now. I just can't seem to fall asleep at night. So, I've developed a little routine to pass the hours.

10:30. Go to bed with the hubs. Talk, cuddle, etc. He falls asleep. I close my eyes and try to follow his example. But instead I toss. I turn. I use the restroom. Stare at the ceiling. Listen to the crickets outside. Get a drink of water. Use the restroom again. Lay down and repeat. Turn on bedside lamp and read my Bible. Lay down and toss some more.

11:30. When my sister's husband worked night shift, I used to call her at this time and we'd talk for hours. Now her husband has a regular job and she needs to spend time with him at night. So instead, I go upstairs and Facebook for awhile. Or blog. Or watch episodes of Friends or Gilmore Girls on Fancast.

12:30. Use restroom again. Go back to bed. Repeat the whole toss/turn/listen to cricket routine.

1:00. Read by lamplight again.

1:30. Head to the living room and fire up the XBox360. The Hubs recently hooked our Netflix account up through the gaming system so that we can watch movies online instead of waiting for the DVDs to be mailed. I watch a few episodes of The Office, one episode of Law and Order SVU, and then one more episode of The Office.

3:00. Use the restroom and head back to the bedroom. Lay down. Roll around some more. Sigh and get up again.

3:30. Read some more.

4:00. Finally decide that I'm sleepy and collapse into bed, exhausted.

My nightime routine. Its not really as bad as it sounds. I'm a homeschooling mom, remember? Which means I can sleep in until 9. 5 hours of sleep used to be plenty. But now its starting to get to me. I'm tired all the time, which isn't helping my headaches, I know. The fact that I'm having trouble sleeping is funny, actually, when you consider all of the pain medicine I'm taking for my head right now. And they all say "MAY CAUSE DROWSINESS" on the label.

Chris is getting frustrated. Which frustrates me. Its not like I want to be skulking around the house all night instead of sleeping.

I've made a doctors appointment for next week. I hope she can fix me! I'm even ready to try sleep-aides at this point.

I just glanced at the clock. It's 11:32 pm. Which means I'm right on schedule!

No comments: