"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Just another loss of control...

Things have been a little "out of control" in the life of my family lately. I guess it started when I was sick and then spiraled from there. Since I've been back home, things have NOT returned to normal. Even though I'm doing much, much better, I still don't have all of my energy back. I'm still tired, probably because I lost so much sleep a few weeks ago. My head's still bothering me, but I can handle the pain now. The kids are....crazy. All they want to do is fight with swords, jump, and turn flips. I've been trying to slowly introduce school back into they're lives while managing everything around the house, but I'm not having much luck. Out of control!

My sister and her family are moving, so she needs my help watching her children while she packs and cleans. I love that I'm able to help her...she was an absolute God-send while I was out of commission. She's always been there for me, and its nice that I'm able to help her out now. But, its difficult to get anything accomplished when even more hyper children are added to the chaos! I am determined...determined to get started with our school year on Monday. Today's Saturday, so that gives me one more day.... hmm. Maybe I should wait until after labor day. Or not. We really need to get started. But I'm just not ready yet. Our school room looks more like a toy store. I still need to go through the many, many different curriculum options that I have here in the house and finally decide what I'm going to use. But before I do all that, the rest of the house is an absolute mess. Which must be cleaned up. The most frustrating thing about this mess, is that the mess accumulated in about 3 hours while I was out of the house yesterday. Thanks to the three males who were left here unattended. Out of control!

On top of everything else, I dropped off the children's old clothing at my first ever consignment sale yesterday. I'm pretty sure it will be my last...it was just too stressful. All of the clothes laying around the house for weeks while I printed out tags, organized, and washed them so they'd be ready. Me, telling the kids to please not mess up the small piles of pants and shirts strewn all over the living room floor. My husband getting frustrated because his computer room floor was also completely covered in clothing, save a small trail that led from the doorway to the computer dest. And let's not forget the drama that insued the night before the sale, when our printer wouldn't work to print the tags...and the many holes I poked in my fingers trying to safety-pin the tags onto the clothing. And the night of absolutely no sleep that i endured trying to finally get everything ready. Out of control!

But, as always, we were able to get it all done. My sister and I went to the church to drop everything off. I brought out a cart to pile everything on, so it that we would only have to make one trip. I parked the cart behind my Jeep, and started filling it with shirts. I looked up to ask my sister a question, and the next thing I knew, the cart...along with my clothes....was rolling away down the sloped road heading straight for a mini-van that was pulling into the parking lot. Thankfully, there was no collision, and the cart came to a stop safely at the bottom of the hill. As I stood there watching the whole scene, I couldn't help but laugh. Hard. That cart careening down the hill just reminded me so much of my life at the moment...out of control...that I just laughed and laughed. I laughed so hard that I was barely able to walk down the hill to rescue it. Of course, my sister laughed too. Because this incident went along perfectly with the rest of our day...nothing else had gone as we had planned!

This whole situation reminded me that even though things are hectic, hairy, and out of control right now, they will get better. Like that silly run-away cart, we will one day soon be resting safely, finally able to breathe. One day, my life will probably be so predictable and boring that I won't know what to do with myself. Until then, with help from my Jesus, will continue to take whatever life dishes out as it comes. No matter how out of control things may seem. And I'll do it laughing the entire time!

No comments: