"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Possibilities

Our church's annual 21 day Daniel Fast is almost over. I'm actually sorry to see it go.

Now, I know that the Bible says I'm not supposed to brag about or broadcast to the world the fact that I'm fasting. But I also know that God told me to share this. So here goes:

God's been speaking to me lately. Most likely because of the fast! When our church started gearing up for this year's fast I felt God prompting me to fast for 40 days instead of 21. I was doubtful but felt him tell me in my spirit that it would be worth it. So far, it is. The condition of my heart is indescribable. I couldn't put it into words if I wanted to. Its good, though!

About a week into our fast God spoke heavily to my spirit. He told me to not stop praying for Shaun's healing. That He wasn't finished with him. To expect the unthinkable. I have been praying for my son's physical and mental healing for almost 10 years now. But I must admit, I had stopped expecting God to do anything about it. So I started praying again. Praying for Shaun to be physically healed. For him to no longer walk with a limp. For his to freely use his left hand. Praying for a healing of Shaun's learning disability. I prayed for it all to be gone!

And then I heard God speaking again, gently to my spirit..."Expect the unthinkable. And the unexpected."

That made me think. The unexpected. I sat up one night and thought of the many, many ways in which God could choose to heal my precious son. Here's a few:

*Complete physical healing. Of course this is what I want. I would love for people to see him walking by and say, "There's that boy. The one who had cerebral palsy. But not anymore! He's been healed!" Instead of, "There's that boy. That amazing boy who has cerebral palsy and can only use one hand and can still do karate!" (I've been told that people have said this about my son. Proud isn't the word!)

*Complete mental healing. No more seizures. No more learning issues or processing delays or mood swings when he eats certain foods.

*The ability to overcome all of these obstacles. Maybe Shaun's muscle strength will increase as he gets older. Maybe, with God's help, he will keep working and working and practicing and stretching out his left hand until one day no one will even be able to tell there's anything wrong with it. Same for the left leg.

*The ability of a doctor to come up with a cure for CP. A new tendon-lengthening technology or something. A long shot, but I'm expecting the unthinkable, remember? :)

*No earthly healing, but thousands brought to Christ. God could choose to NOT heal Shaun here on this earth, but to use this circumstance for His own glory. Shaun could be called to preach. To be an evangelist. A mentor. A counselor for disabled kids. These possibilities are endless.

I dream of lots more, but those are some good ones, aren't they?

During tonight's prayer service, I felt God stronger than ever saying to my spirit "Expect a miracle! I'm not finished! Don't stop praying!" So I'm not. I'm still praying and expecting the unexpected. I've claimed it in Jesus' name. My heart is light with the possibilities ahead.

As we do each year, my family walked together through a prayer line at church tonight. When I tucked the kids in a little while ago, the fragrance of anointing oil was still strong on both of their heads. My heart skipped a beat as I again thought of all the possibilities. God is good, all the time.

No comments: