"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, January 16, 2010

He's still here

The Hubs and I (and our entire church) are fasting again. We do this every January. For 21 days, we "Daniel Fast": only eat fruits, veggies, nuts/seeds, and water. I've been doing pretty well with the food part this year. I feel great. I haven't cheated. I'm having problems with the other part of fasting. The praying and Bible study part. Not that I haven't been praying. Or reading my Bible. Its just that I haven't found extra time to carve out for this. I was feeling like I was missing out. I needed to hear a Word! I really wanted to have an hour to sit down and really "get with God" so that I could in return receive a deep, prophetic word. Get some encouragement! Or at least hit God up with my extensive prayer request list.

But...that did NOT happen this week. Between homeschooling, attempting to clean, dealing with Chris' absence (he's been recording the band's new cd every night), breaking up fights between the children, and sitting up half the night with Jordan (who suddenly decided that sleeping is optional), I just haven't been able to put what I wanted into it. I did good to read a few minutes first thing in the morning, mutter a few prayer requests when I remembered to throughout the day, and read a few more minutes at night. I was discouraged. Disappointed- I really had been intent on going after God with all I had during this fast.

And then today, I DID get my Word. Shaun and Chris weren't home. Jordan was in the bathtub splashing his little heart out. I was in the living room folding laundry and listening to my iPod.

Delulge was playing: "Whisper His name and He will come to you....Call out His name and He will answer you...Shout out His name and He will run to you...

And it occured to me that my fasting habits haven't gone unnoticed by God. Even if I haven't been able to spend tons and tons of "alone" time with my Father, He still knows the desires of my heart. And He's been with me the whole time. When I'm reading my Bible in bed. When I'm whispering prayers of protection over my children while doing the dishes. When I'm thanking Him for meeting an unexpected need while riding in the car. And when I get a minute to myself to sing to Him, even if I'm folding clothes at the same time. He's here.

I'm still going to strive to find more alone time to study and pray. But...if it doens't happen, that's fine, too. Because He's still here.

No comments: