"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, February 20, 2009

Monkey Bars

Got a call from the nurse at Shaun's school yesterday.  He fell from the top of the monkey bars ladder during recess.  Of course, he fell on his left hand.  It was hurting him, and since he doesn't have much feeling in that hand, I knew it had to be pretty painful.  It turned out fine- the x-ray results were all normal...nothing broken, fractured, or sprained.  Praise God!  This whole situation is so ironic.  Shaun can't actually DO the monkey bars, since he can only use one hand.  But he does love to climb, hence the reason for being at the top of the ladder.  I found it strangely funny that my child, who cannot do monkey bars, had a monkey bars related injury.  And I was also proud.  Extremely proud that he would get out there and try to do it anyway, to defy the odds  and play on things like monkey bars with his friends, even if he has trouble.  That shows major back-bone.  I was also proud when, after the doctor said he shouldn't go to Taekwondo yestery, Shaun said he wanted to go anyway and just not punch or hit anything.  So of course I let him go.  In the past, his self esteem has been so low that he would have just wanted to stay home.  He's always been so self-conscious of his differences.  My prayer has always been that Shaun will learn to accept and love himself just the way God chose to make him.  For the first time, I feel like he's headed that way.  To God be all the glory!

No comments: