"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, July 15, 2012

Those "Michael Jordan Pump" Shoes

My sister and I went to visit our grandpa last night.  She wanted some time to by herself with him, so I went back to the waiting room.
Really, one of the reason's I didn't want to stay in the room was because I didn't want to cry in front of my Pawpaw.  I don't know if he can hear what's going on around him or not, but just in case, I didn't want him to hear me crying.  If you've ever seen or heard me cry before, it's not pretty for the eyes or the ears.  :)

My daddy was in the waiting room, along with one of my aunts.  As she hugged me, I burst into tears.  Loud, gut-wrenching sobs.  Thankfully I was able to get it under control pretty quickly.  As I was wiping my tears and sniffling my dad grinned at me and said, "You know what I've been thinking about all day?  Michael Jordan and those Pump-Up shoes that Pawpaw paid $126 for just because you thought you needed them for basketball.  He never spent that much money on my shoes for a whole year, and he shelled it out for you for one basketball season.  Didn't you start slam-dunking pretty soon after you got them?"

I had to laugh.  I'd forgotten all about those shoes.  I was the envy of my third grade basketball team.  Looking back, the idea of those shoes was so ridiculous:  athletic shoes with a little basketball on the tongue that pumped air into the sole of the shoe when you pushed it.  A total gimmick, a complete waste of money.  I think I asked my parents for a pair and they said absolutely not.  I guess they had more important things to spend their money on.  But, my Pawpaw felt differently and I showed up at our first practice with a pair of white and purple Reebok Pumps.  

I thought I was hot stuff sporting those babies, let me tell you.  


There's not much to report today.  The doctor ordered a CT scan and I guess plans will be made depending on the results.  In the meantime, I'm thankful memories like Michael Jordan's Pumps. 





No comments: