"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, October 2, 2011

a new perspective

I did something a little different today. I left the comforts of the Info Desk and became a greeter at church. Yes, that's right. Me. I was a greeter. Being friendly and helpful and stuff early in the morning. This was just a tad out of my comfort zone. Talking to people I don't know and all that. I did it anyway, and I'm glad I did.

I was feeling kind of "blah" this morning. As usual, things were hectic and we were running late. We were all tired, the kids were crabby, and Chris and I were short with each other. Plus, it's that time of the month. I was emotional and just didn't really feel well. On the way upstairs I wished to myself that I could just go home. Instead, I stood at the front door and prepared to be friendly and helpful.

I loved it. I saw an old friend I hadn't seen in years. And then two sweet little old ladies toddled inside. Both were kind of frail looking, but one of them could barely walk. She asked where the restroom was, and I offered to walk her there. Mainly because I was afraid she was going to fall and hurt herself. She took my arm and we made our way to the restroom. On the way she told me that this was her first visit to Free Chapel. She lives in Mississippi but she'd always wanted to hear Pastor Franklin preach, so she and her niece planned a visit. When we arrived at the restroom, she thanked me and said, "I really should have a walker. It's so hard for me to get around, but I really wanted to be here today".

Wow. Talk about humbling. I mean, I was ready to go home because I was tired and this lady (at least in her 80's) was giving it all she had just to visit the church I'm blessed to attend every week. She definitely gave me a new perspective.

Lord, let me never take my church for granted again.

No comments: