"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, October 5, 2011

just a little awkward

I wasn't going to blog about this, but then the other party involved asked me if I was going to... so I decided I should. Looking back, now I can laugh about this whole thing, even if I still get embarrassed when I think about it.

I guess it all started with our bathroom door. The top of the door is swollen, and it sticks. In order to open the door from the inside, one has to push it a few times. We usually just leave the door open unless, of course, someone is inside.

One Saturday, the Hubs and his band were rehearsing at our house. They brought a new guy to play keys with them- a guy I'd never met before. When we were introduced, I thought he seemed pretty nice, just a little quiet. And I secretly wanted to set him up with one of my friends. (One of my much-younger friends. The guy's only 22!)

The guys practiced for hours. The boys had made plans to spend the night with my parents that night and I was busy packing their bags. I couldn't find any of Jordan's shoes anywhere. I had just searched his room from top to bottom and decided to look behind the door in the bathroom. Sometimes he puts his shoes there before his bath. I'm not really sure why. Anyway, I walked to the bathroom door and turned the doorknob...which was unlocked. So I pushed the door open. And there was new guy... in the bathroom... doing his thing.

Oh my word. I muttered, "Oh my gosh, I'm SO sorry!" and slammed the door closed again. I came into the room where the rest of the guys were talking. Chris took one look at my face and asked me what was wrong. "I just walked in on B(*) when he was in the bathroom! The door wasn't locked!" Of course, everyone got a big kick out of that. Another guy asked, "Well, was he crappin'?". How thankful I am that my answer to that question was, "NO! Thank God!"

A few minutes later B came back into the room. The only thing he said was, "That was awkward!" Yes. That was just a little awkward!

Before all of this happened, I had sent him a friend request on Facebook. B accepted me as his friend and then posted on my wall: "Hi Erin. Asking to be my friend is the least you can do after the incident at your house..." More awkwardness. To this day we don't really understand each other. I don't understand why he didn't have the door locked and he doesn't understand why I didn't knock. Maybe one day we'll work out our differences. Ha ha!

The band has been in a youth revival this week. The pastor who spoke was selling t-shirts that read "Its Only Awkward If You Make It Awkward". Well... sorry, but there was no way to make this situation not awkward.

* "B" stands for "Bathroom Boy", which is what my sister and I call this individual behind his back. I'm not sure she even knows his real name.

2 comments:

Daniel Carter said...

That is quiet hilarious from you're point of view, Erin!!

Daniel Carter said...

Hilarious from your point of view, Erin. Never heard some of this... haha!