"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Freaky Friday

It's Sunday night, and I'm still recovering from Friday.  

It was supposed to be such an easy, fun day. 

We picked Chris up from work, grabbed lunch, and took the kids swimming at the YMCA for a little while.  

Last year, Violet loved the water.  This year- not so much.  

Frankly, it all started with her swimsuit.  She picked out her own swimsuit this year.  She insisted on "The Little Mermaid".  I really created a monster when I checked that DVD out from the library for her.  Really, I wanted to see it again, for old time's sake. My plan backfired.  Vi is obsessed with it.  It was cute, not it's kind of annoying.  

Last week, in anticipation of the first swimming trip of the summer, we bought new swimsuits for the kids.  I, now and always, really dislike "character" clothes.  I know, I know.  It's weird, but I just think they're kind of tacky.  I held out several cute swimsuits for Violet to choose from, but she had eyes only for The Little Mermaid suit.  The only suit I really didn't want her to even see!  I guess her love for Ariel surpasses my dislike for character wear.

So, on Friday, we went to the pool.  As I was changing her clothes in the locker room, Violet was oh so excited to get into her Ariel swimsuit.  

She sashayed around, pointing to her stomach and saying, "See?  See A-reee-ul?"  It was cute.  

But then, THEN, she had to put her lifejacket on and, GASP, cover Ariel up.  And no, Violet did not like that.  At all.

She cried and cried.  Finally, she got over herself, but she never really had fun in the water.  Mostly she was content to walk around the pool.  She did go down the huge water slide all by herself.  I watched in horror from the edge of the pool as she climbed up, up, up the stairs, murmuring to my friends, "She's going to get scared.  She won't go all the way up".  But she did, with Shaun right behind her but not coaxing her at all.  

And then she was at the top and I said, "Surely she'll be too scared to go down".  But she wasn't.  I still can't believe the lifeguard let her slide.  But he did.  She came shooting down the slide into her daddy's arms.  So brave.  And, then, SO over the water.  

We stayed a few more minutes and, when it was time to take off the lifejacket so we could change, she started screaming again.  Because, of course,  now she wanted to swim.  

We left, and things were calm for a few hours. The kids and I ran some errands and then stopped at Granny's so Jordan could check his tomato plants.  He's trying his hand at gardening this year, with Granny's help.

These pictures are so precious.  My kids, following Granny out to the garden.


Jord showing off his tomatoes.  

This one is my favorite.  I love the way Violet's looking up and talking to Granny about gardening.  I'm glad we have Granny, because my kids certainly won't learn any gardening skills from me! 




We went home for dinner a little bit later.  As we pulled into the yard, I told the boys to start getting all of their toys, shoes, clothes, etc out of the car.  I got Violet of of her carseat and was so surprised to see my boys disobeying me.  The were messing around on Shaun's bike instead of cleaning out the car the way I'd asked them to.  

To make a long story short, Jordan hurt his ankle.  I tried to downplay it, but he was crying and he couldn't walk.  The ankle was a little swollen and I sent a picture of it to my dad, who thought we should have it x-rayed.  So we did.  

Shaun and Violet went back to Granny's and Jordan and I went to the hospital.  I really was so mad and frustrated about the whole situation.  The boys have been struggling with obedience lately and the fact of the matter is that they were disobeying me when the accident happened.  

Both boys were very remorseful and I think they learned a lesson.  During the drive to the hospital all I head was tearful cries of, "Oh, I won't even be able to go to Summer Xtreme if my foot is broken.  And what about football?  What if I can't play football??"

I tried to bite back snappy replies, but really, didn't succeed very well.  At the hospital, the nurse asked Jordan how bad his pain was, on a scale of 1 to 10.  Jordan's answer?  A 20.  I shot the nurse a look that said I really didn't think he was in THAT much pain.  And I was right.  She ordered an x-ray.  Jordan was pretty nervous while he waited.

An hour later, the x-ray confirmed that we were only dealing with a sprain.  Thank God!
We left with an ace bandage, a popsicle, and questions from Jordan regarding wether or not people could sign his ace bandage.  Ha!


Yesterday, he was all but healed and today he's just fine.  

Just in time for Summer Xtreme!

No comments: