"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Thursday, June 12, 2014

Potty Training: Day 1

Today we began potty training with Violet.  First of all, how in the world are we here already?  As I was in Wal-Mart yesterday, picking out big girl panties and a big girl potty, it occurred to me that at this time two years ago I was buying things to put the finishing touches on her nursery.  I wanted to cry a little bit about this, but I held it in.  It has gone by so fast this time!



Violet won't be two until the end of August, but she's been showing some signs that she's ready to give up diapers.  And our bank account is showing signs that we're ready to stop buying them.  Ha!  My friend April told me about 3 Day Potty Training by Lora Jensen.    She (April) just used the method on her daughter (who also happens to be a Violet) and she says that it works.  The thought of potty training any child in 3 days had me skeptical, and after today I'm even more skeptical.  This is hard!  But, the book says Vi is ready, even though she's not even 2 years old yet.  The boys were way older than this before we even attempted it.  But, as we all know, no baby is the same.  

I don't think it is a coincidence that my Bible reading this morning was the story of David and Goliath.  This was a hard day.  Lots of accidents.  A few "we almost made its".  One small victory,  because I caught her midstream and planted her on the potty.  By lunchtime, I was ready to throw in the towel.  I looked at Chris and said, "If David beat Goliath, I can teach Violet to use the potty.  Right?"  Of course, he said I was right. I messaged April and asked her how her Violet's first day had gone and she told me that they didn't have any success until halfway through the second day.  I was so relieved!  

At the beginning of the day, Vi would just pee.  No warning.  I've started to pick up on her cues now, so most of the time I can at least get her to the bathroom in time.  We went up to my parents' house to have Father's Day cake and she stayed dry there.  When we got home, however, we missed it.  Again.  

I guess Jordan had it right when he said that learning to use the potty was the hardest trick.  Ha ha!  He said this yesterday, when I told him that Violet was going to be giving up her diapers.  

Here's to more successes tomorrow. 

No comments: