"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Tuesday, May 27, 2014

And I Had a Bad Day

Ugh.  Today was bad.  Crappy.  The worst. 

In an attempt to have a better day tomorrow, I'm going to really make a big deal of today's terribleness here on my blog. Then, tomorrow, when things are peachy again, maybe today won't seem so bad.  

Today really started last night when I couldn't sleep.  Chris worked late and I wasn't in the best mood.  Okay, I was mean.  Grouchy.  And tired.  I woke up early this morning when I wanted to sleep in a little.  Chris needed Jordan to be in a video at work today, so I made breakfast for everyone before they left.  I had tons of leftovers because Chris and Jordan left without breakfast.  

Five minutes after they left, Shaun and I had a fight.  A teenager vs mom fight over disrespectfulness.  I never, ever thought I would have these kinds of arguments.  I'm supposed to be the cool mom, don't you  know.  Way cooler than my parents ever were.  So cool that my offspring would never even have the desire to backtalk to me.  Well, I'm here to say that any parent who thinks they can be "friends" with their teenager is just crazy.  

The fight just set the tone for the whole day.  It was a tense day over here!  

Plus, I had a headache.  A really bad sinus headache.  All day long.  So much pressure around my eyes, forehead, and even on my neck.  My ears were clogged.  I was dizzy and tired from this headache and it just would not let up.  I had plans to get so much accomplished around the house today, and I just didn't get around to it.  Violet was fussy and clingy.  I was lucky to get the dishes washed.  What a waste of a day.  

We had an appointment at the chiropractor's office late this afternoon.  I made it late in the day so that Chris could come, too.  But he had to work late.  There was a miscommunication and Jordan ended up  not making it to the appointment either.  Shaun, Violet, and I went by ourselves.  

It was packed.  We had to wait an hour.  Shaun was fine, of course.  He had his Kindle.  Violet was okay for the first 30 minutes.  Thank goodness, the office is extremely kid friendly with lots for them to do, but after awhile, even the toys grow uninteresting.  All of the chairs were full, and Violet really wanted to sit in a chair.  So she fussed.  Lay down in the floor and whined.  I attempted to ignore her and actually quoted down.  A few minutes later I realized why...she'd found two sanitary napkins in  my purse and thought they were toys.  Now, I realize that I'm not in middle school anymore, but what girl wants a whole waiting room of strangers to know that it's her time of the month?

Not me.  And apparently not Shaun either, because he was mortified.  "Mo-o-o-mm," he hissed.  

Finally, finally, it was our turn.  Shaun was adjusted first.  Then Violet, who screamed and screeched and ran off to the Lego table the minute her turn was over.  The doctor asked me how my day was going and I replied, "Oh, good.  Good.  It's fine."

I think he saw right through me.  Ha!

I told him about my headache and hopped on the table.  The minute I got situated, Vi came back and started screaming, "Mom.  Mommy.  MOMMY!!"

The doctor just laughs and starts checking my neck.  "Oh.  Wow," he says.  

"Mom.  Mommmyyyyyyy.  Wah wah!" screams Violet.  

"What.  What?!?!"  said I.  

I wasn't sure who I was talking to, the doctor or the baby.  They both answered.  

The doctor starts trying to explain that I've got lots of pressure on some nerve that's causing sinus pressure.  Violet, miraculously, gets quiet.  When my adjustment is over, I get up and see that she's sitting on the floor, playing with the pads again.  Of course, they're in purple packaging.  Very noticeable.  Again, I know I'm 33 years old and things like this shouldn't really get to me.  But come on, I could've went all day without having Dr. A know that I was all weepy and emotional because I'm on my period.  

He just laughed.  I said, "Seriously, Vi?" and began trying to gather our things to finally, thank God, get out of there.  

While I was getting our bags together, Violet found a stuffed animal and began trying to give it an adjustment.  And she wouldn't let it go. The doctor had her in his arms twisting stuffed camels neck all around.  I was all sweaty from being so flustered, Violet was crying, Shaun looked like he wanted to crawl in a hole.  "Let's go get Daddy.  Mommy's struggling today."

And the doctor gave me a look as if maybe he understood.  Not personally, of course, but maybe his wife had days like mine.  He patted me on the back, and we left.  

When I read this back, my day didn't sound quite so bad.  It's the last week in May.  The Hubs is busy with Summer Xtreme stuff.  I get attacked at this time every single year. Spiritual stuff.  I've come to expect it.  Plus, as everyone in the office now knows, I'm a little hormonal.  

Today was just one of those days where I felt like I was swimming against the current.  Against everyone.  Not making any headway.  

Now, the house is quiet.  The kids are sleeping.  I can breathe a little easier.  My head even feels a bit better.  I can look back over all of the craziness that was today and even laugh a little.  

I'm looking forward to tomorrow!

No comments: