"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Monday, June 23, 2014

The Saga

As I've written, my family and I have been seeing a chiropractor.  He seems to be helping lots of our issues.  I like him.  Chris likes him.  The boys like him.  Violet loves him.  We like the staff.  The only thing we don't particularly like is the wait time.  Our chiropractor is a very popular man, it seems.  His office is usually packed and our appointments usually take at least 30 minutes.  

A few weeks ago, we arrived at the office and got out of our car.  We were walking across the parking lot to go inside when a sweet-looking elderly woman parked and got out of her car.  She took one look at our large "party" and ran... and I do mean she ran around us so that she could get to the door first.  

It was weird.  

I guess she thought that our adjustments would take a long time and she didn't want to get stuck behind us.  We walked in behind her and while we were waiting for her to sign in Chris nudged me and whispered, "Oh my gosh.  Did you see that lady?  Did you see what she looked like when she saw that we were going to the same place?"  I just rolled my eyes, which I hoped he would interpret as "Let it go."

Then, the sweet-looking elderly woman in front of us was told to take her seat, which she did after giving us a little, "ha ha" look over her shoulder.  

Well, I was ready to "let it go" until then.  "Really, lady?  Like we wouldn't have offered to let you go in front of us anyway..." were some of the thoughts going through my mind.   The bad part is that we were stuck  beside her for the duration of our wait.  The more I thought about it, the funnier the situation became.  I kept seeing her high-tailing it across that parking lot, making a bee-line around us and to the door.  Ha ha ha!  Chris was a lot more upset about it than I was.  He usually doesn't let things bother him, but this lady really got under his skin.  He kept laughing under his breath, too.  I guess he was reliving the whole blessed event.  He was also giving her subtle looks when she wasn't looking.  And I think he waved at her when it was her turn to go back to the table.  

A few days later, we saw her again.  She was already seated when we arrived for our appointment but Chris spotted her right away.  "Hey.  Hey.  There's that lady again," he stage whispered.  "I'm glad we stayed out of her way this time," I whispered back.  And I gave her a big smile when she walked by us to leave.  A smile that she ignored, by the way.  

Today, we had another appointment.  We signed in and were waiting for a chair when guess who walked in?  Yup.  She saw us and did a double take.  And then she signed in and tried to go sit down... in front us! She tried to cut in front of us.  Augh!  

The receptionist stopped her, though, and directed us to our seats.  She looked like a fish out of water.  She could not sit still. She kept hopping around until her seat was ready, which of course, was right beside us again. And she gave us weird glances the whole time. Ha ha!  Chris said he felt like uploading a picture of her to Facebook with the caption "HOW DOES IT FEEL TO COME IN SECOND?".  I said that might be a little over the top.  I can sense a little friendly competition brewing.  

I don't know what her deal is.  We had never seen her before that time that she ran ahead of us.  We do have five people in our family, but there are lots of families there who have even more kids than we do.  To my knowledge, we've never done anything to offend her.  Maybe she noticed us laughing at her that first day.  We tried to keep it quiet, but you know how I am when I don't need to be laughing.  

I wonder how this whole little relationship will play out?




No comments: