"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, September 15, 2013

Our Drama-filled Trip to Ellijay

Ellijay, GA.  I hadn't been there since I was little, if I had even been there at all.  It seems like I went there with one of my grandmothers to pick apples.  Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.  At any rate I have memories of both Mamaw and Granny talking about going to Ellijay to pick apples.  

Jordan just so happened to have a football game in Ellijay last weekend.  Ellijay is quite a drive from our area in North Hall and we had to leave early.  We had been out late at a homeschool party the night before and I knew we'd all be tired and scrambling to get ready so we made plans to get breakfast on the road.  

We left the house and drove by no less than 10 gas stations.  But we didn't get gas.  We had planned to stop in Dawsonville to get gas and breakfast.  Only our turn came up before we got to Dawsonville.  I distinctly remember telling my sweet husband that we should just go on to Dawsonville and fill up the car.  And fill up our stomachs.  It was just a little way down the road and we had plenty of time.  But no.  He made the turn and we headed toward Ellijay.

When the coach was giving out our "game day" instructions earlier in the week, he described the drive to Ellijay as a "long but pretty drive in the country".  He wasn't lying.  What he didn't tell us was that there were no gas stations or restaurants once we turned off the main road.  And I do mean NONE.  And my gas light came on about one mile after we made the turn.  

Again, I said to my husband, "We might need to turn around.  We don't know how far away the next station is.  And Jordan needs to eat now, not right before his game..."

Alas, he didn't listen.  We drove.  And drove.  And the gas light was staring us in the face.  Or at least it was staring him in the face, as he was driving.  We saw nothing but trees, pumpkin patches, and and apple orchards.  At this point I was a nervous wreck.  I had never, ever ran out of gas before and couldn't believe it was happening now.  We got all excited at one point because we saw a big Texaco sign through the trees.  We began praising Jesus... until we realized that the station was closed down.  Chris kept telling me to check the "Around Me" app on our phones to find the nearest gas station.  He didn't believe me at first when I told him it came back with "no results".  

I seriously do not know how we didn't run out of fuel.  We drove a good 45 minutes after the gas light came on.  It was a miracle, I tell you!  Chris kept muttering, "Please Lord, just help us make it to the school" while I muttered, "who cares if we make it to the school- we still have to make it home!"  The boys, on the other hand, were only concerned about wether or not they were going to get breakfast.  This further stressed Chris and I out.  It was not our finest moment.  

Finally, finally we came to a little gas station with these cute gas pumps...

and a sign reading "CASH APPRECIATED".

If you know us, then you know how often we carry cash. Hardly ever. I asked Chris if he would go in and beg for mercy since he's better with people than I am.  He went in the store and stayed a long, long time.  He finally came out with the last 4 biscuits in the store and more importantly, he was able to pump gas!

The really funny thing is that we were about 2 minutes away from the school where the football game was to be held.  

We were all so happy and excited to get there.  We all piled out of the car and Chris told Jordan to grab his jersey.  And Jordan asked Chris where his jersey was.  Can you see where I'm going with this?  That jersey was at home.  On the couch.  Ugh.  We were in a panic.  At the same time we realized that Shaun had a jersey since he helps out with the team.  Chris told Shaun to give Jordan his jersey.  Shaun yelled no way because Jordan stinks.  And Jordan yelled no way because it would be too big.  And I yelled no way because Shaun didn't have another shirt to wear.  And Violet yelled... I guess because the rest of us were yelling and she felt left out.  Ha!

Just then, Coach Jamie pulled up. Coach Jamie  owns a t-shirt printing company.  He had a trunk full of shirts and found one that fit Shaun.  It was even green.  Jordan put on his big brother's size large jersey and it didn't look too bad.  

We lost the game.  It was really close, tied up until the last quarter.  I screamed until my throat was sore because that's just what I do.  When the game was over we were all exhausted from all of the stress.  What a day.  One we'll never forget, that's for sure.  And I don't think we'll ever attempt a visit to Ellijay without filling up the car first!

No comments: