"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, September 29, 2013

Drastic Measures


So, I'm once again determined to beat this weight thing.  So much so that I've done something drastic.  Even more drastic than joining Weight Watchers last year.  

I have...

Drumroll, please....

Started exercising.  

My Fitness Pal calls it "walking at a brisk pace".

The first thing I noticed when I began doing this is that I'm so terribly, horribly out of shape.  The second thing I noticed is that I absolutely LOATH it. When I get started I have a panic attack because I hate it so much and I'm so out of shape and it hurts so bad.  But I haven't stopped.  I've even been going to walk early in the mornings before Chris goes to work.  I'm not a morning person, so this is a big deal.  And I've added jogging into the mix.  I downloaded a Couch to 5K app on my phone.  Not because I actually want to run a 5K. I just want to be able to do it.  

So the workout for the first day calls for walking briskly for five minutes as a warmup, then alternating jogging for 60 seconds and walking for 90 seconds.  At a brisk pace, of course!  The workout lasts for 30 minutes.

This is so embarrassing to admit, but I can't even make it the whole 30 minutes.  I shortened it to 20 minutes, and even then I can't do all of the jogging.  So I personalized my goals a little.  My first fitness goal is to be able to do 20 minutes of the walking/jogging alternates.  I hope to meet this goal by next week.

Actually, I've already met a goal.  When I first started moving, I couldn't walk "briskly" for 20 minutes without stopping.  So I guess this will be Fitness Goal Number Two. 

I really, really hate that this is so hard for me.  Seriously.  I hate it.  

I'm publishing this post to hold myself accountable.  The more people who know what I'm doing, the more embarrassing it will be for me if I quit. 

No comments: