"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, April 21, 2013

Saved!

Yesterday was a crazy-busy day.  We were out of the house before 8:00 for my niece's first horse show, Shaun had a ballgame in Cleveland, and then we drove to Buford to Skate Country for Kids Day Out.  We were all so tired on the way back. Chris had to go back to church so the kids and I got an early dinner and then I had to go to Kroger for some baby food.  On the way to Kroger, out of the blue, Jordan asked, "What do you have to do to get saved?".

He's been asking some questions about salvation lately.  Mostly he'll ask where certain people are now, who have already passed away.  We've had a LOT of relatives die lately.  Sometimes the answers are easy..."Mamaw's in Heaven.  So is Pawpaw".  Other times, the answers aren't so easy.  Chris and I have tried to balance being honest with scaring Jordan to death by talking to him about hell.  

Yesterday in the car I was caught completely off guard by his question.  I caught a glance at him in the rear-view mirror and could tell he was serious.  I tried to explain very simply as I continued to drive down the road.  

"Do you believe in Jesus?  And God?  Do you believe that Jesus died for our sins?  Do you know that YOU sin?  Are you sorry?"

The answer to all of these questions was an emphatic YES with the exception of the last one.  That yes was more tearful.  I continued to try to explain to Jordan that all he needed to do was to pray to Jesus and tell Him all of that and that he wanted to live for Him.  

And just like that, the 4 of us driving to Kroger, he did.  It was one of the sweetest moments of my life.  After he was finished Jordan looked up with bright eyes and exclaimed, "I just got saved.  I'm going to Heaven!".

The first person he wanted to tell was his daddy.  My phone battery was dead...no red bar even showing.  I knew he wouldn't be able to wait until we got home to call, so I prayed for God to help the call go through.  And He did.  Jordan was able to call Chris and then my parents.  I wish I had been able to have seen Chris' face.  I could hear the grin in his voice.  

After they'd finished talking we went on inside the grocery store and then Jordan wanted to call my parents.  Mom and Dad were camping on the lake and must have had a bad connection because I could hear my mom saying "What?  You shaved in the car?".  Ha ha!  And then Jordan kept shouting, "NO!  I GOT SAVED IN THE CAR!.  We finally got it all straightened out.  

After we got home I had the best time just watching Jordan.  He really looked and acted as if a huge weight had been lifted from his shoulders.  

Freedom is a beautiful thing.  


No comments: