"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Reading

The kids and I went to the library yesterday. Jordan picked out some "Magic Tree House" books for me to read aloud to him.  He has really taken off with his reading lately, but he still likes to be read to.  Who doesn't?  Before we started the book, I said to him "Just think Jordan...you're so smart and you've been working so hard on your reading.  One day soon, you'll be reading books like these to me!"  

He just kind of nodded and asked me to start reading.  So I did.  I was halfway through the first page and he nudged me out of the way...and began reading the book by himself.  

He finished chapter 1 with just a few prompts from me.  I bragged and bragged and asked him if he was tired of reading yet.  And he said no!  He read another chapter, again almost all by himself.  

How I wish I had been able to take a picture of the look on his face.  He was SO proud of himself, and of course I was SO proud of him, too!  He not only read, but he was enjoying himself.  Usually when we read he's ready to stop way before whatever we happen to be reading is even over.  

My dream is to pass on my love of reading to my children.  I know, I know.  My oldest kids are boys, and most boys just don't want to sit still long enough to enjoy a good book.  Shaun is just now beginning to tolerate reading.  He hated it before because he struggled with it so much.  Now he, too, is finally taking off with it.  It must be the year for books in our house, and I couldn't be happier.  

No comments: