"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Thursday, November 8, 2012

My Little Strong-Willed Scientist

In addition to loving art, Jordan has also really been interested in science lately.  One of his favorite things to do lately is to "make an experiment".  This usually entails wearing "science goggles" at the kitchen table and mixing up this and that in a graduated cylinder.  I try to throw some actual schoolwork in the mix.  I'll tell him to add 10 ml of water or 5 ml of salt.  Or something like that.  

Today, while I was reading with Shaun, Jordan announced that he was going to "do some science".  I told him to not use any food in his experiments.  Imagine my surprise when I walked into the dining room after Shaun's reading lesson to find lemon pepper seasoning all over the table.  As in, a whole container of lemon pepper seasoning.  On the table.  And the floor.  And in a graduated cylinder mixed with water and some red liquid.  And peanuts. He used peanuts too.  About half the peanuts in a large Planters container.  

So, we had a little talk about wasting food and disobedience.  I asked him what he thought his punishment should be for his crimes.  He suggested a time out.  I had something better in mind.  My little strong-willed scientist is going to have to do chores to buy me some more lemon pepper seasoning and peanuts.  He's also grounded from science for a few days.  

Grounded from science.  There's a sentence I never thought I'd hear myself say. 

No comments: