"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

the hatches have been battened...

We're surrounded by tornados tonight. Literally. Storms have been producing tornados all evening, and they're headed our way. One round has passed, and we're waiting on round two. No way am I going to sleep until at least 2:00 a.m. That's when we'll supposedly get the "all clear".

I love a good thunderstorm as well as anyone, but this is worrying me. It was so hot when the kids and I left church tonight... after hearing a sermon on surviving storms, ironically. The mugginess reminded me of the weather the day before a tornado ripped through our town back in 1998.

Ever since, severe weather freaks me out.

At church tonight, people were asked to move down from the balcony section and onto the main floor in case the weather suddenly took a turn for the worst.

The "emergency alert" on the radio came on when the kids and I were on the way home.

My family doesn't have satellite or cable service. Usually, we make do with NetFlix through the Wii and XBox. The Hubs recently purchased one of those newfangled digital antennas for nights such as this. So that we would be able to watch weather reports if needed. Only tonight, it seems that the wind and lightening is causing some major interference- we can't pick up a single channel.

We're watching live on the internet right now. Hearing reports of tornados touching down in several of the nearby small towns. Listening to the wind, rain, and thunder. Keeping our ears open for the warning siren and getting ready to head to the basement if we do. Praying for the safety of our friends and neighbors and for God to grant peace to the families of those who've lost their lives tonight.

I'm also watching Roseanne reruns on NetFlix and playing Words with Friends. Fun, fun times, I tell you.

It just figures that the night I'm actually tired and could probably sleep, I can't.

Did I mention just how much I hate tornado weather?


No comments: