"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, May 23, 2014

It doesn't take much...

...to make me happy.

Contrary to my husband's belief.  Ha!

As you all know, I love to read.  LOVE it.  Always have, and I hope I always will.  I have problems, though, finding good reading material.  I'm kind of picky.  I generally don't read a lot of Christian fiction, even though I am in fact one.  A Christian, that is.  With a few exceptions (namely Redeeming Love by Francine Rivers and most Ted Dekker novels), I just can't find a good Christian series that I really love.  I will say, though, that Christian writing has come a long, long way.  It used to  be that you couldn't find anything in the genre that didn't involve Amish people.  Thankfully, more and more authors are spreading their wings and writing about things that interest me more.  Not that the Amish people aren't interesting, but you know what I mean.  

Anyway.

I've been so busy with my little busy family that I haven't had time to read much lately, even if I wanted to.  I did read a really good book a few months ago.  It was one of those books that'll stick with me forever.  The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.  If you've never read it- go read it.  I borrowed it from the library but I think I want to purchase it.  I found out about it by accident and thought it sounded interesting, and it sure was!

I'm rambling.  Back to how busy we've been.  I was getting to the point that I was mourning a good book.  Our Bible study ended at church and now summer is here and I needed something to read.  Is there anything better than staying up late to read in the summer time?  I used to get so excited about doing this when I was a teen, and  not much has changed.  

So, the search began.  I decided to reread some of my Jodi Picoult favorites.  I thought I had read everything she's ever written, and loved all but 2.  In case you're interested, the two that didn't interest me were Lone Wolf and Sing You Home.  In all fairness, I don't think I gave Lone Wolf a fair chance.  I'll give it another go this summer. 

So, I went to the library to check out some Picoult.  I chose two.  Change of Heart and Vanishing Acts.  I got the surprise of my life when I opened up Vanishing Acts.  I'd never read it.  I don't see how... I'd looked at the cover countless times.  Somehow, I'd skipped over it.  I felt kind of stupid at first, but then I was so happy!  This was almost as good as reading a new release!  

I told you, it doesn't take much.  What a perfect way to start the summer.  Now pleas excuse me, I have some reading to do. 

No comments: