"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Flu shot = flu. :(

Unfortunately, this seems to be how we do it around here.  We stopped doing flu shots for ourselves and the kids years ago when Shaun got the flu afterward for the second year in a row.  I think the last time any of us had a flu shot was back when Shaun was in first grade.  Six years ago.  We've all avoided the flu shot and the flu since then.  

This year, though, the kids' doctor talked me into it.  It was a somewhat awkward conversation because we were kind of arguing with each other.  We really love the kids' doctor.  He has a great relationship with us and takes excellent care of our children. I've never had a disagreement with him before.  We went round and round a little bit on the issue of immunizations in general at Violet's 15 month check-up.  I didn't cave that day, but I prayed about it and discussed it with C and some others and finally just decided to make the kids get their flu shots. It was an awful day, let me tell you.  Shaun was a champ, of course.  Jordan was… not.  He actually had to get two flu shots because he jerked the first one out of his arm.  He cried and carried on and our sweet nurse had to call in the same reinforcements who helped her out at Jordan's 7 year checkup this past Spring.  Violet was all keyed up after this, and of course she cried, too.  I was about to cry myself!

That was last Thursday.  This Thursday, one week later, Violet woke up with a fever.  Yep, she has the flu!  Over Violet's wails at his office, the doctor said, "She had her flu shot, right?".  And I just had to say, "Yes… I TOLD you this happens whenever we get the shot!".  And he said, "And I told YOU that it wouldn't necessarily keep her from getting the flu, but that it won't be as severe if she does get it." And then he tried to fix poor Vi's mussed up hair.  That's just the way he is.  :)

But yes, he did tell me this about the shot.  That's why we decided to go ahead with the shot in the first place.  The flu is spreading like wild fire around here.  People are being sick with it for weeks and hospitals are overflowing.  I definitely didn't want that.  So far, the flu hasn't been that terrible for Violet. She started Tamiflu and it seems to be helping. Yesterday was her worst day so far.  Today she seems a lot better.  She and her "bestie" from church are both flu-ing it this week.  :(

I'm praying no one else in the house gets sick. 

No comments: