"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, December 29, 2013

And then I felt older.

My birthday's tomorrow.  The big 3-3.  My mom took me shopping yesterday. Twice, because I didn't find anything the first time around.  She also took me to lunch.  My favorite dish is Italian stuffed shells.  She said she had planned on making them for me and inviting everyone over for dinner, but while we were out she took me out for them instead.  Just the two of us.  She said it would be easier for her and more enjoyable for me.  And she was right.  

On the way home, she mentioned that she hoped her salad from lunch wouldn't hurt her stomach.  I laughed to myself and thought, "I'm glad I'm not old enough to experience things like that."  I haven't dreaded this birthday, or getting older, like I have in the past.  Truthfully, I haven't even really had time to think about my birthday.  It snuck up on me.  

Tonight, my sister and I went to Mellow Mushroom for dinner.  We sat down and tried to talk but the music was loud.  Really, really loud.  So loud that we had to shout and it was starting to give me a  headache.  So I made my sister ask our waitress if we could move to a quieter table.  

Yeah…I didn't feel older until that happened.  

We did move to a different, quieter table in the back of the restaurant and I enjoyed our conversation and my Greek salad with one slice of Kosmic Karma.  

On the way home my stomach started hurting.  Because of the salad, I imagine.  Just like my mom was talking about yesterday.  

Ouch.  And then I felt older.  


No comments: