"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, November 27, 2013

"Just So Thankful"

Jordan and I read Just So Thankful the other day.  I found it at the library and had a rush of memories of when my own mother would read Mercer Mayer to me when I was small.  Our favorite part was finding the little mouse and spider hidden in every picture.  I've read a few of the Little Critter books with my kids over the years and I'm sad that we haven't read more.  I must change that with Violet.  

Anyway.  Just So Thankful.  Little Critter makes a new friend who's rich.  Really rich.  H.H. has all the best toys, a huge house, great food, a maid, rides to school in a limo, you name it.  And of course, Little Critter is jealous.  Oh, so jealous.  In fact, he balks at the idea of inviting H.H. over to his own house because he thinks H.H. will be bored. But, at the gentle nudging of his wise, sweet, mother, he does.  And to Little Critter's surprise, H.H. not only enjoys himself but envies the life that Little Critter takes for granted.  Little Critter has a family that loves him.  He has parents that care.  His house is full of life and he's never lonely.  

And I had to wipe away tears.  

I haven't been doing the Facebook thing where everyone lists what he or she is thankful for every day.  Maybe I should have.  Instead of focusing on being thankful during this Thanksgiving month, I've been fixating on what I don't have. I'm ashamed of myself. 

I have a house overflowing with LIFE!  Laughing children, food in the fridge, good books to read, 2 vehicles to drive, friends who "get" me, a family that cares, a church family who also cares, faith in a God who's always there, and a husband who loves me.  So much, much more than some people have.  

And for all of this and much more, I am Just So Thankful.  

Thanksgiving Blessings to you all!

No comments: