"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Thursday, December 6, 2012

If I Wanna Make 'Em Smile...

My kids have a new favorite meal.  They ask for it constantly.  The funny thing is that I came up with it for the first time a few months ago when I had to scrounge around for food in the pantry and fridge because we were completely out of groceries and I was too tired and stressed to go to the grocery store alone with all three kids.  

Here's what I did.

The night before I foresaw that a trip to Kroger would be necessary if we wanted to eat dinner.  I also knew that Chris would be working late and although I had began to drive again after my c-section, going to Kroger with all of my children was just not something I felt like I could do.  So, I rummaged around in the pantry and found a bag of dried black beans.  I'm not even sure when I had bought them, but the date on the bag was good so I scored!

The next morning I put the beans into the Crock Pot after boiling them for about 10 minutes to soften them up.  I added a little olive oil, onion, and some salt and pepper and then turned the heat on low.  The boys saw me doing this and immediately began complaining that they didn't like beans.  I told them to shut it.  In a nice way of course.  And we went on with our day.  

The beans cooked all day.  We went to co-op classes and were greeted with a heavenly smell when we came home.  The kids (the same boys who so rudely voiced their disdain for beans) wanted to know what that wonderful smell was.  

When dinner time rolled around I whipped up some instant rice.  I put some rice and beans into a bowl and topped it with grated sharp cheddar cheese, a little salsa, and a dollop of sour cream.  I called the boys to the table and braced myself for the complaining to begin.  

It did begin, but was silenced with the first mouthful of that tasty goodness.  I seriously could not believe the way the boys carried on.  Jordan wanted to know how I had made something so good.  Shaun said it was the best meal he'd ever had.  They both had second bowls and even thirds.  

I gave myself a little pat on the back for evading a trip to the grocery store and we even had enough left over for lunch the next day.  

I've made that meal three more times since and I still laugh at the way the kids carry on when they find out that beans are for supper. 

So easy, and so healthy.  

And it makes everybody smile.  

No comments: