"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, March 18, 2011

I suppose there's always tomorrow

Jordan took Shaun's chair this afternoon. Rather, he got to Shaun's favorite chair before Shaun himself could sit down in it. And oh, the drama it caused. I really don't understand what the big deal is. I suspect they just make this mountain into a molehill to grate on each other's nerves. Not unlike the things I did to my own sister as a child.

Anyway, Shaun was bound and determined that he would not sit in any chair but his favorite recliner. And Jordan was bound and determined not to budge. I decided to sit back and see how the scene would play out. First, Shaun tried to demand Jordan to just move:

"Jordan. Dude. You're in my chair. Get out. Now."

Next he tried begging:

"Come on, Jordan. Please just let me have my chair. Please. Puh-lease. I'm begging. Please!

This was followed by the "Please Feel Sorry for Me" routine:

"Jordan. I sure wish I could have that chair. I need it so I can prop my knee up. It still hurts from when I fell over at Johnston's house. And its sore from skating today. It's very painful for me to sit in a regular chair. And the couch is uncomfortable. Can I please have my chair so my knee won't hurt so bad?

And then, since he was so convincing and he didn't resort to anything drastic, such as pinching or just flat out removing Jordan from the chair with force, I piped in with:

"Oh, come on, Jordan. Why don't you just let Shaunie have his chair? You can sit over here with me."

Of course, that didn't fly. So Shaun decided to give it once last try:

"Maybe one day my brother will be nice to me and give my chair back."

And Jordan responded with:

"Yeah. Maybe it'll be tomorrow."

No comments: