"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Sunday, February 27, 2011

And now I have an 11 year old.

Yes, its true. We celebrated Shaun's eleventh birthday last week. It still sounds so strange to say it. He's eleven. He's grown so much in the past year. He's matured. He's grown spiritually. He's doing the best he's ever done in school.

He's trying to find his place, and so far its been interesting to watch.

I remember being 11...too old to be a baby and not old enough to be a teenager. Too old for some things and not old enough to do others. Tough times. I don't think I'd like to go back there! I can see a lot of my 11 year old self in Shaun. Some rebellion. Defiance. Uncomfortable in his skin. Just like his mama was!

My parents prayed me through my angst-ridden adolescence (Yes. I have an adolescent. And I have an in-take form from one of
Shaun's recent doctors appointments to prove it!) and my rebellious teenage years...and, eventually, everything clicked. I found my place in the world and became who I was meant to be. As will my precious, rambunctious, strong-willed, wonderfully sensitive, kindhearted child. I honestly get chills when I think about what God has in store for him.

Last week, on his birthday, Shaun slept late and then spent some "Call of Duty" time with his dad while I took my sister out for a birthday lunch...have I mentioned that Shaun was born on her 17th birthday? Later that night after church we met up with my parents, Chris' parents, and our friend Steven for a birthday dinner at Red Lobster where Shaun gleefully discovered that he is now too old to order from the kids' menu.

Goodness, my phone takes an awful picture!

We'll celebrate with friends next week with bowling and pizza.

Shaun- I can't believe how much you've grown in only a year. I wish I had just half of your determination. I love you so, but never forget that God loves you more.

No comments: