"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On what I'm thankful for

As promised, here is my deep and sentimental Thanksgiving post.

1. I'm thankful for my children. In light of recent events, I realize that I take them for granted. Sometimes I get so caught up in doing "my things" that I make them feel as if they're in the way, or a bother. Not true at all. I'm so thankful for Shaun's strong will and Jordan's tenacious spirit. I'm thankful that they're compassionate and that they love the Lord. I'm thankful for Shaun's salvation and I'm thanking God in advance for Jordan's...even though it hasn't happened yet.

2. I'm thankful for my husband. Yes, we really get under each others' skin sometimes...but I've realized you can't argue so passionately without being in love. I'm thankful he still loves me, no matter what I look like. I'm thankful he forgives me when I say hormonal things. I'm thankful that he loves Jesus and is using his talents to glorify Him. I'm thankful that he is setting a Godly example for our boys.

3. I'm thankful for my family. My parents- who raised me to love Jesus and taught me to put the needs of others before the needs of myself. I'm thankful for a father who will pray and pray for his grandson's health until he gets a miracle. I'm thankful for a mother who is always there for me, no matter how badly I mess up. I'm thankful for my grandparents. For my Mamaw up in Heaven- that she taught me how to pray and how to show mercy to others. I'm thankful that I can honestly say that she was one of my best friends. I'm thankful that my children had the honor of knowing her. I'm thankful for my Granny and my Pawpaw, who are still with us on Earth. I'm thankful that I was always able to sit with them during church. I'm thankful for the way they love me and take care of me even now that I'm all grown up. I'm thankful that they taught me the importance of hard work and the value of laughter. I'm thankful for my sister, who is also my best friend. I love that we can look at each other sometimes and just know what the other one's thinking. I'm thankful for the times she's let me cry on her shoulder, telling me that everything was going to be okay. I'm thankful for all of our inside jokes and that we can hang out forever and still have fun. I'm thankful for all of my cousins and my aunts. Even though we don't see each other as much as we used to, we're still closer than most families are. I'm thankful for the way we forgive each other and keep on loving. I'm thankful for the way we come together and support each other when something goes wrong.

4. I'm thankful for my church. For a pastor who preaches God's word in black and white...and who doesn't worry about offending his congregation while doing so. For a ministry team who visited me and prayed over me when I was sick in the hospital. I'm thankful that I'm surrounded by fellow worshipers who aren't afraid to dance around a little, cry, and raise their hands. I'm thankful that I've been taught the importance of prayer and fasting--and to expect miracles when doing so. I'm thankful to belong to a church in which its common to witness people praying for each other in the hallway...in empty classrooms...in the restrooms...in the elevator...basically, wherever a person can find a quiet place. I'm thankful that my four year old is learning so much about the Bible. I'm thankful that he is being taught scriptures and can quote them at any given time. I'm thankful that, the other day as we were walking to our car, Jordan looked up at me and said "You know what Mom? I can always count on God". I'm thankful that I've witnessed both of my boys become totally lost and unaware of their surroundings during worship time. I'm thankful for a wonderful children's ministry that teaches our oldest son not only about the Bible, but about the importance of a relationship with God. And I'm thankful that Chris and myself are able to be a part of this ministry.

5. I'm thankful for my friends. My church friends, who know when I need prayer without even having to ask. My homeschooling mom friends, who have become kindred spirits to me. I'm thankful for their constant love and support. I'm thankful that I can be having a bad day, call one of them up, and know that she understands what I'm going through. I'm thankful that most of these conversations end in prayer. I'm thankful for these moms and their familes who have become like second families to my family. I'm thankful for friends who know when I'm depressed and decide to invite me over for a Greek Salad dinner...because its my favorite. I'm thankful that our husbands let us have Thursday nights to hang out together, and I'm thankful for the laughter and the conversations we share.
I'm thankful that when a tragedy occurs, or even simply a sickness or a health issue, we come together and do what we can to whoever's hurting....and we all know the others would do the same for us.
I'm thankful for friends who've seen me at my absolute best and my absolute worst- and who still like me anyway. I'm thankful for my Twilight friends and the fun we have together. I'm thankful that we can laugh about how odd it is that we're still friends after all these years, but never get together unless we're doing something Twilight related. I'm thankful for all of the silly fun we have. I'm thankful for my small group friends. I'm thankful that we're all so different but have come to realize that many of our problems are the same. I'm thankful that we pray for each other and laugh together. I'm thankful for our leader, who is not afraid to call us out when we're wrong.

6. I'm thankful for my salvation and that I know I'm going to be in Jesus' arms one day. I'm so thankful that He really knows the thoughts and desires of my heart...the good and the bad...and He chose me anyway. I'm thankful I'm forgiven. And I'm thankful for God's unconditional grace when I mess up.

7. I'm thankful for all the "material" things. I'm thankful I have nice clothes to wear. A car to drive. A house to live in. I'm thankful for my books, my bed, and my children's toys. I'm thankful that even if we don't necessarily have everything we want, there has never been a time when we didn't have what we need.

And many, many more. I'm blessed beyond words.

No comments: