"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

On how I'm proud of my boys

My family lost a good friend this week.

Gabe Jeffries- you are already missed! My family loved you. I loved your smile and your ever-positive attitude. My children were always so excited to see you EVERYWHERE...in the parking lot at church playing "light saber" with your parking stick, at Stevie B's, and even at Zaxby's. Chris loved it when you popped in on his guitar lessons, just to say hi. I loved that you were so kind to me during my little emotional meltdown in the park. Yesterday Shaun commented that he was sure you are now in Heaven...he could tell just by being around you. I totally agree.

-------------------------------------------

I've been so proud of my children this week. For their compassion towards their friends. For wanting to pray. For not being ashamed to cry. Even Jordan, at 4 years old has amazed me. I was reluctant to bring him on our visit to the Jeffries' house yesterday. Mainly because he can be so blunt...which can be perceived as unkind or callous. I just didn't want him saying things about Gabe's death that would upset the other children. What I witnessed was him offering to share his light saber with his friend and whispering "I'm sorry about your brother" as he passed it off. Of course I cried a little, because that's what I do lately. :)

Shaun spent a good deal of time during our visit sitting beside his friend Max on a recliner, just listening to him talk about the accident. I can really tell my boy's growing up. He just listened, which I hope was helpful to his friend. Shaun mentioned to me on the ride over that he was afraid to see his friends because maybe they were crying, or maybe he would say the wrong thing to them. I told him to pray...and that God would give him the words to say and the actions to do. Whatever he prayed, God definitely heard him, because I couldn't have asked for more in his behavior.

Thank you God, for giving my children a compassionate spirit.


No comments: