"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Righteousness

Chris and I are taking a class at church. We're currently in phase one of four (Foundation Phase) in The School of Discipleship. We love it! I love the fact that I'm learning so much that, really, I should have already known. I mean, really...I've been a Christian for 20 years! Grew up in church. I can literally say that we were there "every time the doors were open". Of course this is good. But I think that if a person grows up in church, hearing The Gospel over and over, sometimes basic truths can be taken for granted and, therefore, not fully understood.

Like righteousness.

Every week, our awesome instructor has said, repeatedly : "You've gotta understand righteousness. If you don't understand righteousness, you're not gonna get anything else. You. Must. Understand. Righteousness." Over and over I heard this. And, honestly, I began to tune it out. If my instructor ever reads this...I'm sorry! I didn't think I needed to hear it. I had heard this message all of my life. I DID understand righteousness!

Or so I thought.

Sometime yesterday it hit me. Righteousness. Wow. I am righteous. In other words, I am "in right standing with God". No matter what.

I've been saved. Born again. Whatever you want to call it, I am in covenant with God. Jesus' blood paid the way for me to be able to approach God just as I am. Faults, failures, and all. Not only can I approach God, but because my relationship with Him and his Son has made me righteous, I know I'll be accepted and loved by Him...always. No matter what.

Righteousness.

I don't have to be afraid to confess my sins when I slip up. He loves me anyway. I can still come to Him with my problems. I am still worthy to be in His presence. Jesus' blood has made me righteous.

Did you hear me correctly? I- dirty, sinful, carnal-I am righteous to stand before God- perfect, sinless, all-knowing, creator of the universe- God!

I've heard this my whole, entire life. But I really never "got it" until now. That He would take me back over and over again is truly a miracle. Something I should thank Him for every day. And I'm definitely going to start doing that!

So. Righteousness. How well do you understand it? I guarantee that if you really understand it, you're outlook on life has changed. I know mine has!

A huge thanks to Pastor J. Our fabulous instructor of the Foundations Stage for making sure I "got righteousness"!

No comments: