"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, August 12, 2011

this week


This week has been just plain crazy. It has flown by in a blur. Monday seems like it happened years ago. I'm exhausted. And feeling totally unprepared for this coming Monday, which is when The Smith Academy officially opens it's doors for the 2011-2012 school year. Here's what went down.

Monday. Boys had one last day of freedom. Because it was so hot outside, they were content to sit in the darkened living room to watch movies and play XBox. I realized that Jordan didn't have a backpack and that he needed one ASAP since our new co-op was starting the next day. The Hubs finally came home from work and we all piled into the car and rode to Wal-Mart for a last minute school supplies run. Stopped for pizza on the way home. Came home, bathed the kids, and put them to bed. They actually went to sleep (both of them) fairly easily. And so did I.


Tuesday. First day of co-op. It was great. Really. I'm positive we made the right choice for this year. The boys have great teachers- I think they'll be sensitive enough so that they're not overwhelmed or intimidated but firm enough that he's held accountable. Great mix. Shaun will be taking Meteorology, Earth Science, Health, GA Studies, Literature, Mixed Martial Arts, Chorus, and private voice lessons. Phew! He'll be busy, but it will be good for him. He needs to be in a classroom setting some of the time. Jordan will be busy, too. Phonics, Geography, Karate, and lots of game times and art lessons. Along with his K-12 curriculum, I think he's covered for kindergarten.
Here's a shot of the boys before their first day of co-op. I think I mentioned that we are NOT morning people. It definitely shows in this picture, but I think it's cute regardless.



Wednesday. I had planned on sleeping in a little on Wednesday morning, but then I was told that Wednesdays in August are Home School Days at Frances Meadows. So we woke up really early and took Chris to work so that we could have the car. We came back home and slept another hour or so and then got ready to hit the pool. My sister and her kids, along with another friend and her boys met us there. Let me just say that Frances Meadows is a great place once public school is in session! Such a different experience from going there during the summer. It was practically deserted. Not really, but there were plenty of available chairs and you could actually keep an eye on your own children without having anxiety attacks. It was a great way to spend a hot day. At 2:30, we picked Chris up at work and went home to shower and get ready for church. I had a meeting and it was Back to School Bash night and the kids were excited. They jumped and jumped on inflatables for hours. Between the swimming all day and jumping around in the heat all night, I was sure they would be asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillows. But no. Jordan was awake for hours. When we woke up the next morning he was in the living room recliner with NetFlix on, so we suspect he may have pulled an all-nighter. Or at least something close to an all-nighter. He was asleep when we found him but the screen saver for the television wasn't on yet....

Thursday. Shaun played hooky from his 2nd day at co-op so that he and Chris could use his free Six Flags ticket before it expired. I took Jordan to co-op. It was... a lot more hectic than it was on Tuesday. Apparently a ton of people only signed up for Thursday classes. There were lots of classroom changes to figure out. Jordan had a meltdown when he went to a class and discovered he didn't know anyone. He was so, so tired. We made it to the end of the day in one piece, then went to town with my sister and the cousins to get more school supplies. It was so hot yesterday. Everyone was uncomfortable being outside. We were all pretty grouchy. We met up with Chris and the boys for dinner at my grandparents. The kids played and the adults talked and ate. We came home and this time the boys were asleep as soon as their heads hit the pillows.

Friday. My sister and I both had doctor appointments today. The appointments were hours apart, so we agreed to watch each others kids while we were at our appointments. Only I was late getting to Lori's house, so she was late for her appointment. Then she was late getting home, so I was late to my appointment. I wound up having to reschedule. It happens, I guess. We are completely out of groceries, so I took the kids to get hamburgers for dinner. Jordan ate about half of his food and then covered the car in vomit. Blech. So gross. We made it home before he was sick again, several more times. I must say that he's a very good patient. When he felt sick, he would calmly get up, walk to the bathroom and throw up in the toilet. It's been a while since anything happened and he says he feels better. He even ate a bowl of cereal with no disaster. I'm praying his illness is short-lived.

I just read back over this post. It's funny... It doesn't seem overwhelming on paper. Ha ha! Tomorrow's Saturday. I'll be busy all day cleaning and getting the boys' school stuff together for Monday. I'm getting very, very nervous. Not quite sure how I'm going to handle getting both of the kids' work completed every day. Funny how I didn't think of that before, huh?


No comments: