"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Saturday, December 25, 2010

Oh! Christmas Tree!

I just couldn't let the Christmas season end without posting about our Christmas tree.

Its Christmas night, and the Smith family has only had a Christmas tree for two weeks. For as long as I can remember, we've always put up a tree over Thanksgiving weekend. But this year, we've been super crazy busy. Two Saturdays ago, Shaun was invited to a birthday party and Chris and Jordan were looking for something to do. I suggested that the two of them take a trip to the tree farm to purchase our tree. Which they did. They even sent me this text message of Jordan in front of the tree that he picked out himself:


They chopped down the tree, strapped it to the top of our Jeep, and headed back into town to pick Shaun and myself up from the party. We drove home. That's when The Hubs forgot that the tree was still on top of our vehicle. And he drove said vehicle into our car port.

Thunk. Thunk. Bang.

Chris: "Oh man. I can't believe I just did that."

And then he backed the Jeep out of from under the car port. Because he had to, I guess.

Bang. Thunk. Thunk.

My family and I watch in horror as several tree branches slide down the Jeep's windshield. We get out to survey the damage to our Christmas tree and this is what we see:


Yep. That's our Christmas tree up there. With a big hole chopped into it. Chris and I look at each other and laugh. He offers to go buy another tree and I tell him that this one is fine...we can just put the "holey" side against the wall. And that's just what we did. We prepare to decorate and discover that we can't find any of our lights from last year. The boys pile into the car to go buy more lights.

Let's rewind back to last Christmas for just a moment. That was the year that we splurged and purchased all new matching Christmas tree ornaments in black and gold. The new ornaments coupled with clear Christmas tree lights made for one beautiful tree that was quite classy as well. Since we had used clear lights last year, I assumed that my boys would buy clear lights again this year. You know...because the clear lights went so well with all of our black and gold ornaments. But, Jordan wanted to pick out the lights. And since he had picked out the tree, Chris agreed to let this happen. And that's why they came home with multi-colored lights. Multi-colored lights that clash horribly with all of our beautiful black and gold ornaments.

What else could we do? We decorated the tree and I just had to laugh. There it was...with a huge hole in the back, fancy black and gold ornaments, multi-colored lights, and of course my hand painted upside down ornament.


Oh! Christmas Tree!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Totally funny! Your own reality show I tell ya!

Love you sista!