"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Love Them Like Jesus

"The love of her life is drifting away
They're losing the fight for another day
The life that she's known is falling apart
A fatherless home
A child's broken heart
You're holding her hand
You're straining for words
You're trying to make sense of it all
She's desperate for hope
Darkness clouding her view
She's looking to you

Just love her like Jesus
Carry her to him
His yoke is easy
His burden is light
You don't need the answers to all of life's questions
Just know that He loves her
And stay by her side

Love her like Jesus
Love her like Jesus"


I have a friend. She's lost the love of her life. Although her circumstances are a bit different than the one portrayed in this verse, they're similar, too. Her unborn child will be born in a few months without an earthly father. She's told me several times "My life is ruined. It will never be the same".

She's hurting. Grieving. Doesn't really like to be around people, so I haven't seen her since September. But my heart has been heavy with grief for her. When all this happened, I would dread calling her. Not because I didn't WANT to talk to her. But because I didn't know what to say. The first time we spoke, the night her husband was taken from her, she asked me "Why? Why would God do this to me? We were being faithful to Him. Why?". And of course, I muttered a soft, "I don't know".

I felt inadequate to even talk to her. And baffled. Because I REALLY DON'T KNOW why God would do this to her. Because she was right. They were doing everything right. They were humble. They were obedient. They were faithful. It doesn't make sense to me at all.

But...it doesn't have to. Make sense to ME, that is. Or even her, for that matter. No one will ever know the answer to that question, at least not on this side of Heaven.

So, I'm loving her like Jesus. I still strain for the "right" words to say when I talk with her. But there are no "right" words for this situation. I would love to be able to spout out some deep, knowledgeable insights that would wipe her pain away, but that's just not going to happen. So I check on her. Call her and send texts. Let her know that I love her, and that I'm praying for her. Even if she doesn't answer sometimes. She doesn't have to. Because there are no "right" ways to behave in situations like this.

I have always loved her. Now I'm just trying to love her like Jesus.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

interesting blog
God bless you