"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Surreal

I've been feeling "surreal" this week. Its so strange to be relaxed and taking it easy while everyone around me is in a panic about their kids going back to school. I don't think I really realized that summer was over for most people.

Shaun and I have been working on some review stuff, but I haven't ordered his "official" curriculum yet. I'll do it this week. Or next. We're not "officially" starting the "School of Smiths" until September, when Jordan goes back to preschool. I just thought it may be easier that way.

Although I don't have all of our materials, I DO have: a schedule, some extra curricular stuff planned with the home school group from church, a work space for us, and some school supplies. So, even though I'm not as ready as I feel like I need to be, I'm still on the right track. And I WILL be totally ready by the first week in September.

One major thing that I DON'T have yet that I really should have taken care of before now is our "intent to home school" form. I went to the Board of Ed to get one yesterday and was told to go to another location clear across town. I didn't have time for that, so I called the number I was given yesterday to request the form. The nice lady I spoke with told me that I needed to take Shaun to his former school next week and formally withdraw him. I called the school to set up a time and was told that I just needed to "call the Board of Ed and let them know my plans". Soooo, I called the Board back and was told I needed to let the school know....yes, I was getting the run-around! I finally got it straightened out, but really, you'd think I was the ONLY parent who decided to home school this year...and I know for a fact I'm not!

Like I said, we've been reviewing for a few weeks. Usually when Jordan goes down for his nap, Shaun and I work on school stuff. Mostly math, language arts, and reading. I've been pleasantly surprised with what he's retained. And I'm still feeling good about our decision. I just need to get in gear!

No comments: