"Many plans are in a man's mind, but it is the Lord's purpose for him that will stand."

Proverbs 19:21

Friday, March 13, 2015

This day I had...

This day has really been one for the record books.  It's been bad.  The tail end of a few really stressful weeks finally caught up with me and wacked me in the behind, so to speak.  

Can I just lament for awhile?

First, though, I need to praise.  Part of the reason these past few weeks  have been so stressful is that Chris, The Hubs, finally has a full-time job.  Amen and Hallelujah!  This really is another blog post in itself, one I've been trying to write but just really can't find the words.  This is something we prayed for and God really answered our prayers and I'm so thankful.  

Now I know this sounds horrible, but when your husband works part-time for two whole years, you get a little spoiled.  Not that he didn't work hard (he DID!), but he was also able to get off whenever he wanted or whenever I needed him to help me with something.  Doctors appointments, errands, etc.  Not anymore, and it is taking some getting used to.  Not that I'm ungrateful or wish that we could go back to part-time employment.  Not at ALL.  It's just been an adjustment.  

I've been really stressed.  I think I used the word "drowning" once or twice.  Drowning in homework, the kids' arguments, laundry and housework.  There's not enough hours in the day.  I know, I know, the same thoughts every other woman in America has every single day.  

Jordan had a project and oral report about Vermont due today.   I'd rushed to help him finish it all week.  Parents were invited to come to school this morning and listen to the reports and we were also told we could bring a treat for the class relating to the state our kid researched.  Did you know that Ben and Jerry's ice cream was "invented" in Vermont? Well, it was, and Jordan wanted to bring some in for his class to sample.  I woke up early this morning so I could put on actual clothes and be presentable to go to school and even left the house in time to go by Kroger to get the ice cream on the way.  The only thing I forgot was to let my sister  know that I would be driving Jordan to school...he usually rides in with her on Thursdays so she was confused and, I'm sure, a little annoyed with we weren't at home and she couldn't get in touch with me.  

But I made it to Kroger in time and Violet was behaving and everything was going smoothly.  We got back in the car, I put it in reverse, and the two youngest kids went crazy!  Screams and fights, and I accidentally backed my car into a curb.  And I muttered, "SHIT" when I did it.  I'm surprised the children even heard me, considering how loud they were being, but they did.  And Jordan was shocked.  I don't usually curse, and I guess the fact that Jordan was so stunned proves that he never hears those words from me.  He was really floored!  He thinks I'm Holy, I guess.  Ha ha!  I think it's kind of funny and flattering at the same time.  

The car wasn't hurt and we made it to school in time with our project and snack.  I pulled in and noticed that no other cars were parked.  That was my first clue that I had misread the teacher's email and came to school on the wrong day.  A trip inside confirmed my suspicion.  But at least we finished our project a week ahead of schedule.  But, let me tell you that I felt so dumb when Jordan's teacher told me that I had mixed up the dates.  So stupid!  Violet and I (and the ice cream) walked back down the stairs and outside to the car.  A few moms from Jordan's class were outside talking and I just admitted that I had stressed my entire family out this week over the stupid project that wasn't even due for 7 more days.  And then I burst into tears.  Real tears.  In front of these ladies I barely know. They were kind and understanding.  But again, I felt stupid.  

I got in the car and called me sister.  I said to her, "I'm losing it!  I NEVER make mistakes like this.  Coming to school on the wrong day is something like YOU would do!". She didn't get mad even though I had just sort of insulted her. She even agreed.  Ha! And we had a long talk and I felt a little better.  

Fast forward to lunchtime.  I was picking Jordan up from school and the plan was to meet Chris for lunch.  I had rearranged my day to do this, so I was a little angry when he called me on the way to lunch to tell me that someone had offered to take him and some other co-workers out to lunch and that he was going to see what I thought about him going with them instead.  Well, I told him what I though.  Very loudly.  What I didn't realize was that he was in the car with these people and they heard everything.  Again, I felt so stupid.  Chris asked me to just come pick him up so he could go with us after all.  And then I had to apologize for yelling and embarrassing him.  And then I felt humbled and stupid.  

After lunch, the kids and I ran some errands and went to the gym.  I dropped Violet off in her classroom and then went to the locker room to change clothes.  I went to put my shirt on and realized that I had packed the wrong one.  The whole family gets "spirit wear" for football every year, and I grabbed the wrong shirt.  This one was too small to work out in.  To be honest, when I first got the shirt it didn't fit me at all.  It was sized way small and I couldn't squeeze into it.  Now, it's not too small.  It actually fits, but I like longer shirts to work out in.  This one was too short!  And of course I didn't have a anything to layer under it.  So I wore it anyway and spent the whole time on the treadmill pulling my shirt down.  Good times.  

After the gym I had to take Shaun back to shirt for band practice and then the younger kids and I went to Kroger on the way home.  I just had to get a few things so I used the self checkout lane.  I scanned all of my items and went to get my wallet...that I had left in my gym bag.  Still in the car.  So off we went, after telling the manager what had happened.  He just left out stuff there, so everyone gave us "looks" when we rolled back up to pay for our things.  

What a day.  

It was such a day that it's tomorrow and I'm still writing about it.  Yes, this was actually yesterday.  Ha!

But today was better.  :)

No comments: